guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LM 1 etc - replacing the clutch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 14:57
Well, i have my UJ soaking in a pot of gearbox oil. Every couple of days I wiggle the joints about a bit, and bubbles seem to come up to the surface. I suppose I am hoping this is a good thing, and an indication of air coming out and oil going in. 

I wonder if i should remove the circlips that hold the caps on. Would this be a good idea, or would it be something I would regret for ever more ?

And another thing, why does gearbox oil smell so bad ?
Ben. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 15:01
Circlips are imbued with the power of flight.
The Force is strong with them ...
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 15:21
As does anything with a spring.

There's a good dodge for piston circlips in this month's Roadholder - put a longish bit of dowel through the hole in the middle of the gudgeon pin so that when they fly out of the recess they don't drop into the crankcase. New to me.....
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 16:49
Originally posted by iansoady iansoady wrote:

As does anything with a spring.

There's a good dodge for piston circlips in this month's Roadholder - put a longish bit of dowel through the hole in the middle of the gudgeon pin so that when they fly out of the recess they don't drop into the crankcase. New to me.....

Been there done that but usually they just disappear in to the `ether` never to be seen again
The dowel looks to be a good idea though

CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 21:46
Originally posted by iceni iceni wrote:

How about a pencil Lead Thread, then?  To HB, or not 2HB?

Whether tis nobler in the mind to use graphite or suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous molyslip,
that is the question.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 21:49
Certainly wouldn't consider Moly on the clutch centre splines.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
TheWrongTrousers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 07:45
This thread has certainly got some longevity. I think it maybe because it has developed into a discussion about lubricants. In the same way that there is “no business like show business” - there is no thread like an oil thread .. 
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 10:40
Now all you need to do is ask what tyres are bestist ......lol
Gearbox oil smells bad due to the additives to withstand high pressure operation BUT at least if you ever get a wee oil leak you can then tell if it is engine or gearbox oil
The Older i Get, The Better I Was

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 07:54
Guys this seems like a silly question, but does it matter which end of the UJ goes into the gearbox or is either end - as it seems to me - interchangeable ?
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 12:15
erm yeah it matters short end to gearbox . it won't fit into the swingarm any other way ...unless I totally read the question wrong ...
The Older i Get, The Better I Was

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 22:05
no ken, it was not you it was me. Thanks for putting me right. I was trying to sort this out last weekend while under an appalling amount of stress due to a family related disaster. I thought doing some work on my bike would make me feel better, but alas I  could not make sense of the contents of the swinging arm, so Iput it all back in the cardboard box until i reached calmer waters. What a life eh ?!
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 19:21
What Ken said, won't go in wrong way round. Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 20:07
I am ok now, thanks guys. Got the back wheel on now so i can take it off the pile of wood that it is resting on. I sorted the splines out with some of this, which is what Dave recommended. it seems pretty good stuff on the face of it. 

All those splines needed quite a lot grease, I really spread it on thick !  Next up is to bolt on my new rear disc, and its all coming together bit by bit.  i just hope its going to be alright and I don't have to pull it all apart again 
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 20:01

Thumbs Up

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic