guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Oil
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V35II Bevel Box Oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V35II Bevel Box Oil
    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 08:39
Dear All,
I am pretty sure the seal on my bevel box is leaking. As I don't want to strip this at least until Winter I want to continue using the bike.
I suspect that it is now slightly below full but leaking very slowly.

Questions:

1) Is it critical to have this absolutely topped up?

2) Recommended oil is "Rotra MP SAE 140" which is only available at huge cost (mostly postage!). Can I top up with any old EP oil of reasonably heavy viscosity?

3) Not sure what PO put in but all oils are clean, he was a synthetic formula fan (raced Porsches apparently!)..  What do you recommend I use in the bevel box once problem solved? (or now for that matter)..

Many thanks,

Adrian
Bristol UK
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 10:02

I found with my V50 that I had to remove the rear suspension units to get the level plug on the horizontal.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 10:04
Any make of oil of the right viscosity is fine. You might find Redline Shockprrof heavy better as it's less likely to leak past the seals as I understand it.

Best to keep it reasonably topped up without being pedantic about it.

But first thing to do is remove the little top hat breather and make sure it's clear. They get blocked, then when the Bevel drive gets hot the oil expands and is forced past the seal.
The other suggestion you will hear is to "burp" it. Get it hot, remove the filler cap then replace it, having let the excess pressure out.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 10:51
My local supplier sells a sort of modern replacement for molyslip which also claims to seal small leaks. How about trying that?
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 12:59
Originally posted by AdrianW AdrianW wrote:

Dear All,

Questions:

Can I top up with any old EP oil of reasonably heavy viscosity?

Many thanks,

Adrian
Bristol UK

Best not to use `any old oil`new is always bestLOLLOLLOL

CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

AdrianW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 14:05
Thanks all..

Have checked the breather,  all clear..

Tried the level plug on both side and main stands and oil started to emerge so plenty left in there. I must have a look in the manual, I wouldn't imagine many are as diligent as Ian in getting the level right !

I presume EP is fine in these , no brass or bronze parts??  I see non-EP is also available at SAE140. Many products seem to be multigrade ( 85/140) or is this a modern bodge.. In my old bikes I have always stuck to monogrades, any thoughts?

Wynns seem to make a transmission leak fixer but I have always been a bit suspicious of these magic (snake oil) products. If it works would be better than attempting a repair in that area, looks a rather messy and difficult job..

Thanks as always

Adrian
Bristol UK

PS Chris the only old oil I have available came out of various areas of the Velocettes, don't think the Guzzi would like that......
Richard Hyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 15:13
Did you say that it dribbled out of the level plug when upright on the centre stand.
If that's correct , then he's ovrrfilled surely.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 15:52
Depends what you mean by a dribble. Couple of mm over the level won't make a lot of difference.
Brian.

Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 16:51
Hypoy 140 if in doubt as Opie oils Guzziriders get a 10% discount, Check bevel oil with bike on centre stand with the oil cold it should just like fill the screw threads over filling it runs out, Guzzi says Molyslip additive ..... but  i suspect there are modern alternatives Halfords do sell moly .... new oil fill it check level then go ride 20 mls undo top nut lets hot air out. The Redex oil seal does work used it in the past get it from Wilko's ..... V35 and V50, s check bevel,gearbox and engine oil regularly more than one has run low and cooked engine or gearbox they work hard 
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
AdrianW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 09:08
Thanks Brian, Richard & Ken,
I'll keep an eye on all the levels and take it from there.. 
Other than the fact it is likely to be synthetic based I have no idea what is in the bike at present. Engine & gearbox oil totally clean, bevel has traces of Moly.
The front / alternator seal leaks and somewhere in the LH cylinder head plug area too, am almost tempted to try some Wynns Oil Leak Stop .....

Thanks again,
Adrian
Bristol UK
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 10:22
I have heard it said by quite a few who ought to know what they are talking about that synthetic oils can find their way past old oil seals when put into older engines, maybe the same is true for the bevel drive seals too.
Brian.

red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 10:30
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

I have heard it said by quite a few who ought to know what they are talking about that synthetic oils can find their way past old oil seals when put into older engines, maybe the same is true for the bevel drive seals too.

I thought this was accepted as a known fact as I have known this for years (about 1972) and as you know I'm no mechanic ( except with ironing boards.)
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 10:42
But I know from experience that if you make a definitive statement such as that, you invite somebody to come back saying they used xyz synthetic and it didn't leak.
Brian.

Normskii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Normskii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 11:39
Guzziology has a bit to say about oil grades for V50/V35 unfortunately my copy is not to hand but maybe someone else could look?
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 19:35
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

But I know from experience that if you make a definitive statement such as that, you invite somebody to come back saying they used xyz synthetic and it didn't leak.

As is always the way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic