guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK, LED and HID conversions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UK, LED and HID conversions
    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 19:31
There has been a change to the MOT regulations affecting headlights.
The tester's manual now states -
Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.

The wording says bulbs, so I don't know if the fitting of a complete CE marked reflector unit with LED light source would fall foul of this regulation.

Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Guzzi1000SE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guzzi1000SE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 19:54
I might be wrong (I usually am Big smile just ask the other half) but the sentence "Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs." Should surely  mean that you change the reflector to an LED type it would be pass it's MOT.   
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 23:39
I would agree, a complete unit replacement is not a conversion, it's a replacement. HID or LED "bulb" put into a lamp designed for a filament bulb, yes.

Glad I haven't tried it! Big smile

Edited by Mike H - 13 Jan 2021 at 23:54
"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 11:37
Having spoken to my local MOT tester  this morning they`re understanding is that the changes are due to reported fire hazards mainly around HID conversions with the original wiring looms not being heavy enough to accommodate the extra load required. With LEDs it`s more about the heat generated in tight spaces by the conversions and poor quality Chinese bulbs etc. They are awaiting their compulsory training/ exam next week to ask the questions of the examiner. Although they agree bikes aren`t a major  problem they are still failing them if the standard headlight has been converted but he has agreed to ask the question regarding full headlight changes but at the minute his opinion is that the wiring issue will be the governing factor. 
It will be interesting to see how this one pans out Confused , fortunately it won`t impact me as  I don`t need mega bulbs for daylight only riding 

CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 13:36
To be honest swapping standard bulbs for the Nightbreaker ones do the job. make sure the reflector is good easy to get replacements. 
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 16:20
Originally posted by c13pep c13pep wrote:

Having spoken to my local MOT tester  this morning they`re understanding is that the changes are due to reported fire hazards mainly around HID conversions with the original wiring looms not being heavy enough to accommodate the extra load required. With LEDs it`s more about the heat generated in tight spaces by the conversions and poor quality Chinese bulbs etc.

That doesn't make sense as HID takes less power than normal tungsten, average headlight takes 35 watts against the tungsten 55W.
I always thought this was more about beam pattern and dip cut off, these cheap conversions can be very poor, and thus dazzling to oncoming traffic.
Remember OEM HID must have a self levellling device fitted and indeed headlight washers.
Not so sure about LED, they take much less power but heat is generated in the driver circuit. But the beam pattern is often worse, much more light but no beam.
My car has full LED and a self levelling system, so not sure if that is a requirement.

But remember bikes have a much shorter wheelbase so any change in loading will make a difference to dip beam cut off.
Brian.

Stevex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 15:14
Ive fitted a led h4 bulb to my LM2s original light unit.
Its sold by classic car leds and is CE and RoHS approved.
The leds are positioned in exactly the same place as the h4 halogen filament and its light pattern is also the same.

Steve
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 15:49
Are Aftermarket LED Bulbs Road Legal? | Will They Pass An MOT? : Automotive News by ABD.co.uk (autobulbsdirect.co.uk)

Some interesting reading on here regarding the pros and cons of after market conversions etc.
In the case of my local tester he did say that headlights were not at the top of their agenda which probably explains why my BMW Zenon headlights pass the MOT  despite not having either the self levelling or washer systems working, however the mechanical leveller works. It may well be down to interpretation by individual testers but I have already booked my car in to have the headlight systems repaired, as for the Monza then that will remain stock.

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 10:19
So I could probably (legally if not sensibly) fit a HID to my Norton which has a tungsten headlamp bulb not a halogen one?Dunno if they come in 6 volt versions however.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 00:06
So what IS at the top of their agenda .. Shocked

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 07:59
Cutting out headlights which dazzle oncoming drivers.
Many LED replacement units give a very poor beam pattern and sometimes zero cut off on "dip". Same goes for some HID replacements.
OEM HID headlights are required to have a self levelling system built in to the vehicle, and indeed, headlight washers, all to reduce the risk of dazzle.

And Ian, the full name for "halogen" bulbs is Tungsten Halogen. All incandescent bulbs have a tungsten filament. The halogen refers to the gas inside the glass which allows the tungsten to run brighter and hotter. So even if there was a 6 volt LED, it would come under the same ruling.
Brian.

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 10:42
I didn't know that Brian - the old school lightbulbs I use don't mention halogen although I understand that there must be some sort of inert gas in the envelope.

And in fact there are suppliers of 6 volt LED headlamp bulbs (or lamps as the preferred term used to be): http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyWhyNotLEDs.htm
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 10:45
Originally posted by Mike H Mike H wrote:

So what IS at the top of their agenda .. Shocked

I suppose that relies on what day of the week it is they all seem to be different, mine is definitely brake biased

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

nickst4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickst4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 20:31
I'm a firm believer in fitting all my halogen headlight shells, bikes and cars, with LED bulbs. It's not for night-time vision (though it helps) but chiefly to be seen in daylight, the difference in visible range of the bluer light being massive. 

I do agree, however, that there are some very poor LED bulb manufacturers that make little effort to mount the emitters in the same location as the incandescent filaments. When they do, and also make the units rotatable to get the best beam pattern, the effect can be very good and, to my mind, contributes to my safety without inconveniencing other road users. Naturally, I check the beam pattern and keep the dip on the lowish side.

I do hope my MOT man takes the same pragmatic view! He's seen all the bikes before. I wouldn't put any faith in the concept that the regulations are meant to prevent electrical failures. I mean; when did anyone ever criticise the wiring on Italian bikes?

Nick
jmee54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmee54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 21:48
I have an Led bulb in my Convert and it has been there for a few years now. It probably isn't as bright as the bulb it replaced but it helps my battery not going flat and is not often used at night. I will certainly check out Classic Car LEDs.

I have been dazzled countless times by Led headlights at night while driving my car, nearly always by Chelsea Tractors and it takes a second or two before my vision returns - plenty of time to drive into a hedge, or worse. I often wonder about the lights on my V85tt as they seem super bright compared to the Convert's.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic