guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Alternative parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheap starter motors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don-Spada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap starter motors
    Posted: 20 May 2014 at 00:23
Spotted these on ebay, Brand new Valeo starters from Germany for £61.58 plus £16.42 delivery
I haven't tried one, just something I came across.  It seems very cheap.  Is it too good to be true?  There are others for sale even cheaper!

Starter New Moto Guzzi T5 850 V 1000 G5 V11 V35 V50 V65 V75 D6ra21 Top

Search Guzzi Starter ebay Europe

Edited by Don-Spada - 20 May 2014 at 00:31
1978 Guzzi Spada
1965 Guzzi Stornello
Ianboydsnr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianboydsnr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 15:28
Originally posted by Don-Spada Don-Spada wrote:

Spotted these on ebay, Brand new Valeo starters from Germany for £61.58 plus £16.42 delivery
I haven't tried one, just something I came across.  It seems very cheap.  Is it too good to be true?  There are others for sale even cheaper!

Starter New Moto Guzzi T5 850 V 1000 G5 V11 V35 V50 V65 V75 D6ra21 Top

Search Guzzi Starter ebay Europe

They are a Valeo copy so not genuine, made in China, as far as I have heard, they work ok with no issues, theres a few using them in BMW's, though they run the other way in beemers!
tonti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 12:03
I bougth one of these from germany via ebay and cost around £60 at the time yes its a chinese copy of the valeo but had no problems with it so far turns over the LM4 engine alot faster than the perfectly working Bosch one i took off. I think they have gone up quite abit since i got mine.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 13:28
The cynic in me wouldn't be surprised if the OEM ones are basically the same, also made in China, but come with a big mark-up attached.

LOL
"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Gianni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gianni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 16:22
Originally posted by tonti tonti wrote:

I bougth one of these from germany via ebay and cost around £60 at the time yes its a chinese copy of the valeo but had no problems with it so far turns over the LM4 engine alot faster than the perfectly working Bosch one i took off. I think they have gone up quite abit since i got mine.

IIRC the Valeo has different gearing from the Bosch so it spins faster and apparently thus puts less load on the battery.
Le Mans 1, Spada, Cali 1, T3 Mongrel, Le Mans V, Quota x 2, Stelvio TT
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 17:24
It also has a permanent magnet field, not electro magnet, so again takes less from the battery.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Motty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 18:39
Originally posted by Mike H Mike H wrote:

The cynic in me wouldn't be surprised if the OEM ones are basically the same, also made in China, but come with a big mark-up attached.

LOL

Oh dear, I purchased the expensive branded one to replace the original Lucas. I think it has a "Made in Poland" sticker and it was something like three times the cost of the cheap Chinese copy
tonti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 21:32
Originally posted by Gianni Gianni wrote:

Originally posted by tonti tonti wrote:

IIRC the Valeo has different gearing from the Bosch so it spins faster and apparently thus puts less load on the battery.

The Bosch has'ent got any gearing other than the one on the end of it. The Valeo if i remember rightly has a 5 to 1 gearbox.
motopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:25
Originally posted by Mike H Mike H wrote:

LOL

If it's any help, my V7 II has a Chinese starter... Geared with a permanent magnet motor.  Seems to work fine Thumbs Up
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 17:00
Not really, was just idle speculation Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Ogmios View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ogmios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 21:50
Appears bright from a distance / dim up close.
Don-Spada View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don-Spada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 23:19
First question, have you ruled out a fault in the wiring,  The starter relay wiring is notoriously unreliable on most Guzzi's
As I said before, put an open end spanner across both terminals on the end of the solenoid and see if the motor spins, then put a lead from the battery direct onto the small spade connector on the solenoid, that should spin and engage the starter. 
Check that before spening your hard earned cash on a new starter motor.  You have already found out t he initial problems were nothing more than a dead battery. 
If that proves that the starter is dead, then most Guzzi strter motors are interchangeable, try a word with Gutsibits to see what they have, or this should do the job
1978 Guzzi Spada
1965 Guzzi Stornello
Ogmios View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ogmios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 10:21
Originally posted by Don-Spada Don-Spada wrote:

First question, have you ruled out a fault in the wiring,  The starter relay wiring is notoriously unreliable on most Guzzi's
As I said before, put an open end spanner across both terminals ...

I have to the best of my ability followed every piece of advice in the 'click no crank' thread.
ALL wiring checked / replaced if dubious. Spanner placed as you suggest.
Also used jump leads in parallel with the existing wiring  to ensure +ive and -ive are good.
There is no difference in starter 'spin speed'. It works fine .... until it doesn't. Confused
The starter does have some suspect parts; marks on it, damaged brush holder and very stiff movement.
I can think of nothing else to do except..... put hand in pocket and spend money! LOL
Thanks for the reply. Wink
Appears bright from a distance / dim up close.
Don-Spada View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don-Spada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 13:53
Gutsibits would be my first call, get a decent secondhand one. 
1978 Guzzi Spada
1965 Guzzi Stornello
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 18:56
from usa £56.49 with £12.56 postage ....looked today .....that is less than refurbing a starter!!!!
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic