guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Loop Frames
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical hiccup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el__burro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical hiccup
    Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 01:08
Happy new year and good morning,
 having taken my v7 850 gt for the first ride of the year I have experienced a problem with the electricals.
The bike seems to have hiccup. 
From experience with other bikes I thought it was the condenser.
I see a spark between the points when they open.
I have bought a Marelli condenser, beside replacing that and checking the points gap.. what else should I check?
Thanks
El__burro
el__burro
Simond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 07:20
I think I agree with you.  

Fit your new condenser and ensure that all the electrical connections (including condenser ground) are clean & tight.

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 08:16
If you are seeing much sparking at the points, concentrate on that, change the condenser. Don't waste time looking further unless that doesn't cure it.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
chilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 09:10
Yep! Try a quality condenser first, then plugs if no change. Points may need looking at as well, easy jobs first Thumbs Up

Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 11:53
Condensers are hard to get as good ones I bought a few at an autojumble new old stock. I found new ones were very suspect.

Worth checking all of the ignition circuits the wiring from points to the coils clean every contact.
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 14:18
Go onto Internet search engine, type '220nf 1000v capacitor', chooss from ceramic polyester or polypropylene (dielectric)

I've given up trying to find a decent 'proper' one for the Bantam (have bought at least two) that looks like it might be relaible so have acquired some yellow polypropylene ones to try. Just needs suitable leads soldering onto the ends.

As an aside, I make the observation it's is getting more difficult to distinquish 'old V7' from 'new V7' these days, as now there is also the new V7 850; it was only the 'GT' suffix that indicated otherwise. And mention of 'condenser' of course. Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
el__burro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el__burro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 17:11
Hello, thank you all for your replies.
Unfortunately, after changing the condenser i have the same issue.
I have notice that at low idle it tends to die.
What's the next step?
Thanks 
el__burro

el__burro
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 17:12
I got a whole list of alternative part numbers for points/condensers etc keep it in my wallet at shows/autojumbles i spend time looking through there are a fair few new old stock out there Bosch parts and Marelli and Facet often come up well worth keeping a list of these parts. Of course Intamotor is THE generic spare part manufacturer

As I said the new ones after 5 failed really quickly I managed to get 2 new old stock Bosch ones not a glimpse of a spark ..... 

Guzzi hardly ever use bespoke parts therefore just about every part for the electrics and cycle parts have an alternative part many electric parts have Bosch or Fiat counter part Numbers the BMW bikes of the period used many of the same charging cct pars and Fiat parts right up to and including V11 Le Mans and later V11 bikes like the TDC/RPM sensor Guzzi ask £139 for it the car part same part number is around £38.

I list alt parts in that listing well worth trawling through it
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 19:25
Speaking from experience, fitting a new condenser doesn`t guarantee success, mainly because a new one isn`t definitely a good oneOuch. The quality these days appears to be `iffy` at bestConfused 

CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 19:34
It's also worth checking the low tension feed to the coil and from the coil negative to the points which can cause the hiccup. Make sure all connections are clean and tight, battery connections too.

Edited by Dave P. - 05 Jan 2022 at 20:45
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
el__burro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el__burro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 08:17
At this stage I ask.. what is s the best way test the condenser to check if that is the issue.
Thanks
el__burro
el__burro
Modorado View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modorado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 08:26
I had a similar issue on my 850 GT last year. I went through the whole ignition system looking for a fault too (mine is electronic ignition though). I checked both spark plugs and observed a spark so assumed they were ok. Turned out one of them was bad and wouldn't fire properly when inside the cylinder. Worth putting in a new set of plugs if you haven't done so already. 
ranton_rambler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranton_rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 12:46
Originally posted by el__burro el__burro wrote:

At this stage I ask.. what is s the best way test the condenser to check if that is the issue.
Thanks
el__burro
A decent multimeter should have a capacitor test function.
Simond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 13:32
should read about 0.2uF (microFarads)

and your points won't spark (much if at all) if it's working well

I found this & think it is worth a read

I'd guess a quid or so from RS

Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 14:41
This could be the long term solution ??
I've never had a condenser fail on any bike but I may invest in these as a precaution. https://hmb-guzzi.de/Capacitor-module-V7-models-V7-Special-850-GT-etc
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic