guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Oil
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission treatment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guzzished Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 09:39
Ethanol, never used anything but, E5 and then E10, obviously the original fuel lines melted but apart from that the only difficulty was when I was recommissioning a 750T for a mate a few years ago, I couldn't understand why the new carb floats from G'bits kept separating into two halfs, very difficult to get running properly with the floats that didn't. QuestionQuestion Angry Wacko
( Might have been Moto Mecca. )

Edited by Guzzished - 03 Aug 2022 at 09:46
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 11:59
Well my V1000 has had Hypoy 80/90 in bevel and gearbox with the recommended molyslip in bevel and the remainder from the 100ml bottle went into the gearbox.

At one time Nigel who refurbishes gearboxes (5 speed ones) used to give you a small bottle of what was "Supaslip" as it was what Guzzi put into new gearboxes.

No idea about the newer bikes at all but the old 5 speed ones it makes a heck of a difference to the longevity and wear. I had 1 refurbished gearbox only due to 5th whining the V1000 has done over 260,000 miles ..... Had the gear return spring go and was offered a service exchange completely refurbished box 2 yrs ago for £120 it was a no brainer to be fair but none of the boxes failed in fact when he opened mine up commented how little wear was apparent 

The older 5 speed boxes do work much better with either supaslip or Molyslip added
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Celticbassman View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celticbassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 10:36
94 cali 3 lads. Great advice from all thanks a million . Il leave it our 🤘👍
guzzwiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guzzwiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 17:14
Quote Well my V1000 has had Hypoy 80/90 in bevel and gearbox with the recommended molyslip in bevel and the remainder from the 100ml bottle went into the gearbox.

This is what I do with my V1000G5 since 1988.

Quote The older 5 speed boxes do work much better with either supaslip or Molyslip added.

And this is what I experienced since 1988 Approve

Rudi

presently a modified 1000G5 and a V7classic; (V50PA sold)
Bomber one View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bomber one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2022 at 11:14
i realise theres lots of opinions on oils.  Im happy to go with hupoid 80/90 but should this be GL4 or GL5? 
i just want to change my gearbox oil with a 'correct oil'.

Gutsibits list millers GL5 which is out of stock, but other sites say dont use GL5 in a gearbox.

I do have some Castrol EP90 which i used in the rear drive (with moly) but not many seem to favour EP90 for the gearbox.

Which 80/90 brand / part no. do you use please?

Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2022 at 11:19
I favour EP90 in my (T3) gearbox, Mostly because a) it's what I have, b) SAE90 is what's recommended in the handbook, c) same stuff goes in the drive box, d) it's available, e) I like the can (Castrol), and f) saying so is bound to flush an oil expert out of the woodwork (o;
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2022 at 12:39
Generally speaking, if you ask 20 people their opinion about what oil to use in a certain application, you will get at least 21 different answers.
It's all just opinion.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Andy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2022 at 18:35
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

It's all just opinion.

I would hope Mario and Giuseppe looked up the shear forces and temperatures etc. when they designed the gearbox and that their selections made in into the manual. You can do the same yourself if you have all the data,  but this basically involves reverse engineering and then looking at your application.

The unsubstantiated gobbledegook about "feel"  all these threads descend into is of course a huge enemy of good engineering.

Andy 
Bomber one View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bomber one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 17:11
OK i'll go wth EP90 & moly as i have a can at the ready anyway, 
Thanks
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 17:28
Best advice read manual activate OEM advice on older bikes 'cos it works on newer bikes so it does not affect any warranty 

80's Tonti bikes were made with the 100,000 miles before major items need replacing using basic services ie oils, filters, plugs, brake pads, tyres. 

That covers all the 850-1000-1100 bikes with 5 speed basic gearbox older engineering used the appropriate seals to oils available but as always read the manuals ... your bike your choice 
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 21:14
Originally posted by Andy M Andy M wrote:

I would hope Mario and Giuseppe looked up the shear forces and temperatures etc. when they designed the gearbox and that their selections made in into the manual.

I have no doubt they did - 40 years ago. Lubricants have changed drastically since then.
And my comment about opinion was referring to the 21 answers you get from the 20 lay members.

Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic