guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Loop Frames
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1975 Eldo-Points Keep Losing Gap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 09:07
Thanks Barry, I'll give them a call.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
theone&onlymin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theone&onlymin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 14:03
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 14:54
To be honest, any medium grease would work.
A light smear on the cam, but don't forget the central bearing inside the cam and the spring pivot points.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Stevex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 16:45
I searched for ages to find a decent grease to use on the heels of my points. Most were unobtainable, but I found one that as available.

Steve
cfoss View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cfoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 19:36
Hey all. Thanks for all the very good information.

I initially suspected the set screw but it was holding fast-no issue there. Must have been the coating on the heel referenced above. Well, I now have a screwdriver and feeler guage in the toolkit on the bike, along with the spare ignition components lol.

After I set up the points and added a tiny bit of grease, and checked the timing (which was right on after the gap was set), and with some carb adjustments the bike now runs as it never has before. I've been messing around with this stuff for a few years now on and off-The bike is a bit of a Frankenstein with the 1000cc cylinders and 36 Dell'Ortos fitted. I can't tell you how happy this makes me!

It feels like it should and actually sounds different and the low end torque is instant. I can roll on the throttle at whatever rate I want and it just pulls.

Now we're talking!!

As far as points vs electronic, I do like the electronic, but after some education on the points I may be able to live with them as the bike is a summer cruiser (And $300 US is a lot of gas!)

Chay
cfoss View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cfoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 23:44
Hah. I was on a ride yesterday and she started misfiring then died pretty completely. 

Points again??

Not that lucky-It turns out the ignition coil was toast.

Oh well at least I was within striking distance for the dirtbike trailer (Held the Guzzi really well too!)

I decided I would change the wires too-so she 'should' be good to go lol. Until the next thing.

Chay
Simond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 07:31
Well, I guess you can be sure that if you keep riding, there will eventually be a “next thing”!  

Good luck!
cfoss View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cfoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 17:20
Yeah the next thing happened. 

The new coil did improve the spark energy (Visibly), but I was still having issues with the spark cutting out randomly. This time I only had to be towed home from a block away lol.

The coil may have been weak, but it wasn't the root issue. I removed and compared the in service points to a new set that I have. It turns out that the metal portion of the points slid down on the insulating cylinder of material that they pivot on. This caused the lower surface of the points 'arm' to intermittently come in contact with the upper surface of the fixed portion 'arm' of the points. This would obviously prevent the switching action of the points and kill the spark. 

I guess I got a crappy set of points. Needless to say I'm not impressed!

I changed the condensor as I was putting it back together, just to renew this sucker as much as possible and now the spark is a giant blue flame thrower which I have never seen before. Hopefully I've seen the end of the issues for a while!

Chay
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 18:10
Originally posted by Barry Barry wrote:

Originally posted by Dave P. Dave P. wrote:

If anyone knows where the correct grease can be found in the UK please advise.

I don't actually *know*, Dave P., but you could do a lot worse than give these chaps (https://www.classic-oils.net/) a bell and ask what they carry or advise - they are very much geared up to deal with classic and vintage vehicles, so are knowledgeable and sympathetic to te cause!

I gave them a try Barry but to no avail. All they could offer was engine assembly grease.It was worth a try though, thanks.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic