guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V7 850 Stone wouldn't start

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommy_dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V7 850 Stone wouldn't start
    Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 22:06
Hey everyone, 
Never been on a forum before, hope someone could help. My V7 wouldn't start. Been riding it every day last week 7 miles to work and back, after two days rest it wouldn't start, completely dark dash. After a few tries the light  would come on do the cluster check but wouldn't start. After a few tries it started but as soon as I added throttle it shut off. Later that evening did the same the only difference that I could ride it till the end of the street but then it would shut off and nothing. Could someone please give me any information they might have. 

Also today I found oil under the air filter under the seat it was quite a puddle taking up about one third of the surface of the bottom of the box. 

Please help.
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 22:22
Don't know this model .... others do have a drain plug underneath. Did you try opening the tank then starting it? You should hear a fuel pump.

Known other models get the breather blocked.

Check the battery level low battery causes all sorts of elektrikery none sense.

No doubt someone who knows the newer models will be along BUT if still under warranty get it to a dealer
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Andy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 07:52
Thoughts;

The CANBUS on the 850 seems to be a total @#$%$#%&$k. It won't turn the engine until there is sufficient fuel pressure, the battery voltage is good, the moon is in Aquariums etc. Key the ignition ten times then try the starter button. Hold the button and count to twenty, don't stab at it.

Watch the gear indicator. When my clutch was mis-adjusted and the dealer had filled the gearbox with lard it blew the mind of the ECU. It's speed-RPM calculation was wrong so while the mandated neutral light was on, the display showed first. You then get a computer-sez-no situation.

The switchgear is $$%#. Open the right hand set and get in there with the contact cleaner.

If you still have St.Greta's box fitted the breathing is bad. Open the filler and listen for hissing.

The dealers are over filling with oil, so goo in the airbox is a distinct possibility.

Check the battery.

From the description I suspect more a battery problem, so would go battery then switch gear.

If there is a hint of dealer muppetry you need to try a different one for the warranty route. Via Moto in Sheffield employ Kermit, Fozzi Bear and the Great Gonzo. In the North I'd call Teasdales.

Andy 

Edited by Andy M - 10 Nov 2022 at 07:55
Speciality View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speciality Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 08:17
Yes; I checked my air filter yesterday as part of the annual service and found a little oil in it. Interestingly it was golden in colour, not the red (Motul) that was used at the dealer 900 miles service and by me since. +1 on the rhs switch cluster, a number of which have been known to go bad. The mode button on mine was so slow in operating that I thought it wasn’t working. A good clean up and protection needed, as advised above. Mine has never been an instant starter, though it does start on the first press - as said, don’t just stab at it. The exception in starting used to be after a good hard thrash when the pressure in the fuel tank caused by the charcoal canister made hot starting a longer affair. If the canister were a pretty thing I’d have mounted it somewhere, but it isn’t, so it’s now in a drawer in my garage. Either way it’s no longer on the bike, on which the engine now hot starts perfectly.
AdrianW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 08:23
Good grief !!
I have recently been considering one of the modern Guzzis , reading these posts I'm rapidly going off the idea.. Think I'll stick to the older bikes, too much new fangled stuff on the new ones..

Back to my cave now....

Adrian
Bristol UK
Andy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 09:05
Originally posted by AdrianW AdrianW wrote:

Good grief !!
I have recently been considering one of the modern Guzzis , reading these posts I'm rapidly going off the idea.. Think I'll stick to the older bikes, too much new fangled stuff on the new ones..

Back to my cave now....

Adrian
Bristol UK

The bikes are about as advanced as scientific calculator, 1990's technology. If you can set up a wireless server or make your phone do what you want it to they are easy enough.

The problems are that people used to Victorian technology inhabit the dealers and write the manuals and Guzzi still blows the budget on a stylist and then buys switch gear from the company that didn't get the contract with Lego. 

If you don't own an OBD reader or know what the other settings than buzz do on your multi-meter, then yes, it's a learning curve and you need to decide if you want to climb it. I'll take an OBD code telling me a sensor is @#$%#$ over bad behaviour from carbs than involve endless cycles of strip-replace-rebuild-test. The computer of course can't tell you you have an air leak so some of the old skills remain.

It would be nice of course if Guzzi stopped supplying a kit, 99% assembled, without instructions, possibly with parts missing, or Honda made a bike that was fun to ride, but that's motorcycles for you.

Andy 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speciality Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 09:06
My take on it is that the parts made in-house are fine; the paintwork and chrome (on the Special) is as good as anything out there. In my view these bikes are let down by Chinese stuff (eg rear brake) and by the switches and modern EFI, which if it’s sorted now it wasn’t when the bikes were launched - two official map updates so far. I can think of no other large capacity air-cooled bike that meets E5 - the other retros are air/oil cooled. There’s probably a reason for that although having the pots sticking out in the breeze helps. M-G does appear to be over-enthusiastic with whatever it uses as threadlock too and also very stingy with the grease gun (a lot of bikes suffer from this). 
I think that they aren’t turnkey bikes; after the singles when was this ever the case. GuzziTech have been selling map updates for years and the Motoplat ignition on my Cali III expired early. I just think that they are bikes that need perseverance. There is a lot that is good about them. That said, I won’t be first in line for the V100; it’s bound to have issues…
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 10:45
Having read glowing reports of the new V100 the thought arose that if I sold both of my Loops and added a little more from my piggy bank, I could have one.I did notice that the testers were impressed by the extensive electronics' "suite" as one of them called it. Doubts crept in; so many of the problems aired in these hallowed pages are down to various electronic issues. The thought of a new V100 soon faded as like AdrianW above I crept back to my cave and checked on my spare contact breaker stock.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 13:07
"The bikes are about as advanced as a scientific calculator, 1990's technology. If you can set up a wireless server or make your phone do what you want it to they are easy enough."

This has completely explained why I struggle with life nowadays.

I can only handle phones situated in a big red box.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 13:32
And even then you risked a small child pressing button B just as you got through.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speciality Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 13:35
Yes, but you could make free calls by using various nefarious techniques, all well-known to the GPO….
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 13:43
As a kid I never walked past a phone box without popping in and pressing button B. Most of the time nothing happened but occasionally I would be rewarded as fourpence rattled into the little change tray. I didn't do this if someone was in there making a call of course.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speciality Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 14:49
I used to make calls by tapping out the number on the contact for the headset😉 like Morse code.
Andy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 17:43
Back to the subject at hand before this descends into the "Brontosaurus vertebrae for goal posts" thread.

When the engine dies out on the road, does the display also die?

This shouts more ignition switch or earth fault than some of the other ideas.

Andy 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speciality Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 18:48
There’s a recent thread in another forum about an 85TT with similar symptoms. Lots of suggestions were made in an attempt to help. In the end the bike was taken to the supplying dealer who diagnosed a bad connection to primary fuel injection relay. Easily resolved and a permanent cure was effected. I think that unless you have a wiring diagram and are handy with a multimeter it would be wise to take it to the dealer. No fault was showing using an OBD2 reader. I don’t know whether or not you have tried this - it would be the first thing I’d do to see if any fault codes are stored. Really IMHO a generic OBD2 reader is essential for this and other EFI bikes that conform to the OBD2 standard.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic