guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Social section > The Bar.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do with yer bike today.......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 189190191192193 436>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 19:08
Went to the Bike4Life event. Guy called Nigel from Lichfield pulled up next to me on a Cali special. Saw a 2016 Stelvio and a Cali EV and that was it (not including mine of course) from Mandelo as far as I could see.  Those GS's must be really good because every other machine seemed to be one of them. Quite a lot of hogs too, most of which didn't look as though they have been used much, perhaps the first time they have seen daylight in 2018 or they have very fastidious owners!
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 00:06
Potter Around Local Lanes 4

And first time trailer towing test!

https://youtu.be/wthnVK3Ndy4

Stat Attack -
Trailer unladen weight: 30 kg (I'm told)
...plus spare wheel and mount kit, = 34 kg (-ish)

I loaded it with the sort of camping gear I was intending to carry in it, say 8 - 10 kg (was going to put a 10 kg weight in but then thought it could damage the fibreglass if it bounced around).

So gross weight: >=42 kg, approx.

On first setting off, there was a slight impression of extra mass pulling on the sidecar. This went away after a couple of minutes. (Yes really.)

Affect on engine performance: none discernible.
Affect on braking effort: none discernible.
Affect on handling generally: none discernible.

Biggest difference is having to think about where the trailer wheels run, if it's an issue, especially on rough roads since the wheels are small and with a narrow track.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 07:26
Originally posted by Mike H Mike H wrote:

Potter Around Local Lanes 4

And first time trailer towing test!
Biggest difference is having to think about where the trailer wheels run, if it's an issue, especially on rough roads since the wheels are small and with a narrow track.

Do we have any other sort of road these days? Even on the motorway I see ridiculously large potholes. How you can avoid potholes with something like a reliant 3 wheeler I just don't know!
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 13:18
The trick is to get them to organise a cycle race on local roades, then you can be sure they will be out making those roads glass smooth. We have the "ride for London race going close by every year, and those roads are in perfect condidtion, all the rest of course......
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
nickbrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 14:33
nice ride out and spot of a refreshment (rest me bones...) at Chelveston....

jog53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 22:13
720 miles combined riding at weekend on my trusty 1995 Cali 1100i with sidecar, from Kerry to Derry/Londonderry. Took in event near Draperstown, Derry- Motocross solo/Motocross side-car/Quads, part of U.K. championship. The side-car stuff was crazy, rigs going 3-4 metres in air at break-neck speed. 600-700 cc two stroke singles...not short of grunt. Camping at fantastic Shepherds Rest in Draperstown, a lot of Guinness, Thumper club from N.I. and assorted rigs and classic bikes from UK. The Cali held its own against the BMW Ks and GSes that were the main rig of choice, but lost out on the up-hills.  Did see 90 once....sorest arse Ive ever had today.
jog53
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 16:39
Thumbs Up
"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
GuzziHero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuzziHero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 23:48
Guzzi Griso - the saga continues.

2nd hand forks in, bloody hell this spindle is tight...

Long story short, someone before me has left the pinch bolts done up with no axle in.  So several hours yesterday struggling, several hours today heating, spreading, heating etc... finally I have the axle in. 

I've changed the wheel bearings / seals and fitted the brake discs too. 
A tappy Guzzi is a happy Guzzi!
Oldrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 09:39
Changed the stanchions and seals on my LM2. Bearings seem like new Thumbs Up
1976 "Zagato" Gootsi cafe racer
BMW GSA
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 10:24
But that was probably made before the grease famine struck.
Brian.

Oldrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 11:01
LOLLOLLOLLOL

To be fair they look like they’ve been replaced earlier

BMW GSA
jog53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 17:45
A good day/ a not so good day.
Appear to have sorted extremely stiff gear selection issue on the 95 Cali. The plastic sleeve/bushing that fits between the selector pedal and the mounting lug is the culprit (the main pivot point). I reckon was fitted over-size and was more or less seized. Removed with sharp knife and re- fitted. A little bit more play but more precise selection with a far lighter action, and the pedal self-centres without a prod of the heel or toe. A bit of a victory after all the false neutrals and not so occasional crunches from the gear-box.
Not so good was the bollicking I got from the missus for spending yesterday and half of today fettling the bike, when I had apparently agreed to sort out the utility room and the dog kennel some time ago. No memory of this agreement whatsoever.
After a fairly epic run last weekend, opened the garage yesterday to discover a large frothy puddle under the breather pipes on the garage floor. Looked like a good Guinness head. No memory of feeding her Guinness either..... 
jog53
Oldrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 18:06
Spent a chilly hour or so after lunch at the Italian bike day at the Ace cafe. Not many bikes there, and of those only about 50% were Italian. A handful of Guzzis, mostly makes newer models but a lovely old Lodola tucked away in the corner.

Chilly and overcast cast.  Brrrrr

Roll on summer

BMW GSA
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 18:14
Originally posted by jog53 jog53 wrote:

A good day/ a not so good day.

Not so good was the bollicking I got from the missus for spending yesterday and half of today fettling the bike, when I had apparently agreed to sort out the utility room and the dog kennel some time ago. No memory of this agreement whatsoever.

I'm not alone then.
Brian.

Doug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 19:08
Left my home on Tyneside yesterday lunchtime and rode my Stelvio through Northumberland passing Corbridge and Chollerford. Cup of coffee and a scone at Kielder then on to Bonchester Bridge and Bonjedward. Another cuppa and a snack at Denholm then continued to Kelso. 
Stayed overnight at a pub then home via Kirk Yetholm and Rothbury.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 189190191192193 436>
  Share Topic