guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Technical services
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Puncture repairs recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughguzzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Puncture repairs recommendation
    Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 23:08
In the spirit of giving back with thanks for the freely shared advice and information on this forum - 

Highly recommended puncture repair system by 'Safety Seal' - tubeless motorcycle repair kit -  used by myself 3 times (on sons car, friends bike (1200 GS) high on a mountain pass in the Alps, and on my own bike (1150GS) on the same trip) We did another 5 days of hard Alps riding and fully loaded trip back motorway/speed - repairs still absolutely fine - in fact my tyre now worn out.
Now technically these are in UK considered a temporary repair but TUV approve them for life of tyre (check website) Obviously some punctures may be too big, a slit that cant be filled, or in/close to the side wall, for a safe repair to be made.
Very easy to do, inserting a 'self vulcanising rats tail' Look at the Safety Seal website, can buy from millareurope1992 on ebay (safety seal supplier). Not the cheapest, but after a lot of looking before I bought, I think the best (6 repairs in the pack)  You can get the slim tyre plug repair refills. 

Ok I used a compact 12v air pump not the Co2 cylinders - I keep those for when Im just running about and not on a tour. Oh yeah the pump is a MotoPressor Rocky Creek pocket pump - again brilliant, very compact and simple bit of kit (Can buy from 'Rocky Creek Designs' direct or i've seen them on Amazon.) 
I'm a fussy git, research things a tad too much and like things to be reliable/work well. I hate sh1t designs - so these come with my recommendation as used and not found wanting!!
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 23:42
What I call the "sticky shoelace" repair. Been using those for years. First seen by me in France about 15 years ago when I got a puncture and a local garage repaired it using that method. Refused to charge me.
Repaired many tyres with them, but I use a small amount of rubber solution as lubricant to get the lace into the tyre. Never had one fail yet.
Those shoelaces are readily available these days, Ebay and other places. Bought my first lot from a car spares place in France as they were not available in the UK then.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
ranton_rambler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranton_rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 12:41
RAC used one in my VFR rear tyre, but they insisted it was only a get-you-home repair. I was tempted to leave it, but did get a mushroom plug put in to dispel all doubt.
Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 09:47
This is the one that I have just bought prior to my big trip in June. Very well made piece of kit and does not rely on glue.

I also have the BMW repair kit which will handle some puntures that the mushroom type won't, ie if the nail goes in at an angle.

California 111,California 1100i,Suzuki FZ50, Yamaha YB100, NSU Quickly,

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 11:03
That's the one I bought, based on my previous experience that the more you pay for a tool the less likely you are to ever use it!Emoticons

It is very well made, though.
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
hughguzzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughguzzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:23
Yes there are loads of cheap puncture repair kits around, some better than others - thing I like about the Safety Seal 'rats tails' is that all the fibers through the 'string' are coated with the self vulcanising sticky stuff so there's no need for a tube of rubber solution (which will only be on the outside and mostly wiped off when inserted). Also these repairs fit into neat and irregular punctures by molding to the shape of the hole.
For the solid mushroom type repairs, I think you have to 'ream out' the hole to make it round and larger (risks damaging the tyre braiding more). 
Eventually - Obviously the best solution is a professional repair where they take the tyre off to inspect for internal damage (likely if run flat and rim damage to tyre inner/side wall) But - with a bike the handling is seriously compromised with a soft tyre and its very obvious something's wrong, so inner damage from being run flat is highly unlikely. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic