guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > CARC models
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Norge 1200: Start-up Remote Error DC V DC ECU 44
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Norge 1200: Start-up Remote Error DC V DC ECU 44

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 09:01
Did you get round to pulling the multi pin connectors off the ECU? It could be some corrosion has set in there.

I'll have a think about what else to check.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Double-f View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 09:45
Yes I did, the pins all shining as gold, things looks good in there (I could send some pics).  I also did a continuity test from the ECU clip pin1 to the wire Pin2 starter relay...which schematic shows it direct...the wire is continuous.
Double-f View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 14:46
Just one discovery.

Ignition on, i was testing the starter relay with a test light... checking if bulb lights up to the 12V presence:  with one side of test light on battery -ve terminal. And other end, probing relay. I touched the Pin2 wire (kind of mistakenly).... the solenoid-starter motor rolled. Just a little more touch to Pin, bike starts. ShockedShocked

acted same as bridging the solenoid.

stilll trying to understand how this relates to the puzzle, but situation remain as it is. Unhappy

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 15:29
If you were able to wire a switch between the battery -ve and pin 2 on the start relay that would reliably start the bike every time.
BUT you wouldn't have he safeguards of not being able to start in gear etc.

Your 12v test light was effectively grounding pin 2.

I am now thinking you might have a problem within the ECU but can't be sure because the internals of said ECU are completely unknown.

I have been asking elsewhere about this and so far nobody has come up with a satisfactory response.
Brian.

Double-f View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 16:12
Thanks Brian. I appreciate the effort.

Living with the bypass reality is not in the least my best option especially when unsure the impact on other functionality.

How are a start interruptus or ECU startup relay error could fundamentally impact the ECU with no prior incidence still puzzles me. But I'm no expert in this sphere.
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 17:32
What is happening now when you press start button is pump still continuing to run all the time . I had problems on my sport corsa and ended up with fuel tank lifted up above bike so I could get to all the wiring then when starting you can pull and wiggle wiring in the hope some thing happens differently .
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Double-f View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 19:47
Originally posted by johnno johnno wrote:

What is happening now when you press start button is pump still continuing to run all the time . I had problems on my sport corsa and ended up with fuel tank lifted up above bike so I could get to all the wiring then when starting you can pull and wiggle wiring in the hope some thing happens differently .

pump already kicks in once ignition key is on, waiting for the start button to crank...but pressing the start button...no click...service light. I do some wriggle with that anticipation too. No positive response yet.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 20:11
The more I think about this, the more I feel the problem is in the ECU.

If you were to just put an earth onto that start relay to start the engine, the only difference would be the ability to start the engine when in gear which might cause the bike to lurch forward a little. But they all used to do that 20 years ago.
You would also have to hold the button down until the engine started, originally you only had to touch the button and the ECU would keep the starter turning until the engine started.

It should be possible to alter he wiring to the existing start button to do this.
Brian.

Double-f View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 22:26
Thanks Brian, indeed I am considering all the options. Alter the wiring, seek to get another ECU, or keep digging.

If for a sec, I conclude it's an ECU problem, what are the issues or condition that could have caused this ECU failure and how do one prevent it?
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 18:32
That I do not know.
The ECU is a Magneti Marelli IAW 5AM2 according to the manual.
Brian.

Double-f View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 05:21
I will go ahead to order the ECU nevertheless.

It has been a worthwhile interaction. I will update on how it all goes. In the meantime I will enjoy the forum.

And sorry, I only realised much more later this shouldn't have been posted in the intro section. The Norge kept nudging.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 08:12
If you do a Google search for that ECU, you will find it's fitted to some Ducati models too, and also there are companies who repair them. I also found one place selling refurbished  units.

However there might be small differences between models, I don't know. Certainly the fuel map will vary.
Brian.

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 08:15
I don't suppose you have any Guzzi dealer where you are, but have you considered asking Guzzi in Italy? Somebody must know the inner logic of the ECU and be able to diagnose your fault.
Brian.

Double-f View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 10:02
Unfortunately no Guzzi dealer anymore here.

I have not tried asking Guzzi Italy, I can give it a try.

Double-f View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 10:10
checking over internet though I see that there is a tool one can use to Re-flash ECU, I dont know how this works. Anyone have this tool before to reset/read/clear ECU errors?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic