guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introduction > Rogues Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My '79 T3 "work in progress"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My '79 T3 "work in progress"
    Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 10:31

A couple of rainy days have washed the salt off the roads, first chance to stretch the Guzzi's gambalungas. It started as a '79 Calfornia I bought 2nd hand in 1990. A work in progress ever since, it's now 940 cc, pinion distribution, Dyna III sparks and has a 2.1 Kg flywheel. Also stainless braided brake lines and my own attempt at drilling the front disks for better wet weather stopping, not conclusive. There's not a screw, nut, bolt or washer left that's not stainless. I used the original tank cap cover lid mounting points to rig up a "Tanklock" style system, no straps or magnets. The screen is a trimmed and re-angled version of the California I original. The exhausts are Lafranconi "competizione", the Stradivarius of mufflers. In the further interest of safety, I have two of the loudest 
bike horns you've ever heard, I call them the "Heart Attack Special" (Had to fit a relay, they'd melt the button !). It will pass the 300.000 Km mark this year, and why does NO ONE make decent T3 replica seats ? Cheers !

Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 12:34
Looking good! Thanks for the photos, and the details.
helmetbolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helmetbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 13:33
That's a really nice looking bike.
2001 California Special. (Modified)
Fugly View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 14:04
Very nice and welcome from a fellow newbie.

I hear you on the seats, I am about to start a restoration of a 75 T and am looking for a seat
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 14:36
Thanks for your nice comments, and Fugly, to me the dream Guzzi would have the T's side covers and toolbox, the T3's brakes and the S3's flippable rear mudguard. Let us see pics of your restoration if you can, and LET US KNOW if you find seats or even replica covers !
Fugly View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 15:05
Hi JPC,
Nothing to show yet as the bike is about to leave Canada on a boat but have started a thread in "Restorations" but managed to title it T3 instead of just T.
Regards
Fuggers
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 19:15
that is really groovy. Made to work, I like it
jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 20:34
Originally posted by Jerry atric Jerry atric wrote:

that is really groovy. Made to work, I like it

A  meeting of two minds, Jerry. A workhorse with a dash of Italian glamour if I may say so myself.
Thanks  Thumbs Up
nab301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nab301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 20:50
Originally posted by jpc jpc wrote:

. It started as a '79 Calfornia I bought 2nd hand in 1990. A work in progress ever since, it's now 940 cc, 

That is lovely  , how many hours dare I ask !! although I guess   the answer will be in years or decades!
Nigel
Keep smiling , it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
'19 CB125F,

'18 DL250 SUZUKI V STROM,'99 Bmw R1100S, '03Bullet 65 500, '93 MZ301 Saxon fun (offroad)
jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 00:14
Nigel, only the hours you'd expect for near 30 years of upkeep. The crankcase was only dismantled once to change the cylinders, pistons and big-end shells. Then around 200.000 Kms I decided to have the frame blasted and recoated, and to change the old black California color for this one. That was the longest "downtime". The rest were just "interventions" done to have it back on the road ASAP. Smile
rapheal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapheal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 13:27
if you want a seat made try this Bob at Moretti

He makes seats and bases, and supplies them to Italy
he also recovers and repairs seats
sound bloke, he sorted my breva seat out 

mailto:morrettidirect@aol.com
jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 16:52
Thanks Rapheal, I've sent them an email.  Thumbs Up
Fugly View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 15:15
Thanks Raphael,

I've also sent him an e-mail, I hope you are on commission LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic