guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Handlebar dimensions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Handlebar dimensions
    Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 20:26
The cali has some vibrations - mainly in the right side. I'm happy to bung some lead up there but a nice pair of bar ends would be better. I need the inner diameter though. I've looked on the site but there be nowt. I assume that they're standard and hazard a guess at 22mm ID???   Maybe even put some heated grips on for my dotage.  Ta in advance.  John
Due to italian electrickery I am saying nowt. Despite nearly giving the Vstrom away the honda has gone...
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 21:00
That's about the outside dia. (7/8inch)
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 22:37
Check the OD, some Calis had bigger bars.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 20:10
"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
cugsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 13:36
Got some ordered Mike. I'll see what difference they make.
Due to italian electrickery I am saying nowt. Despite nearly giving the Vstrom away the honda has gone...
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 13:48
Stopped the tingles on the Ural sure nuff.

Now there's a testimonial. Big smile

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 13:50
The trouble with buying bar ends, I found, is finding ones that actually have some weight, and are not merely "for show".

cugsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 17:43
Typical....bar ends turn up, I slice end off rubber grip and ..da..da..da..daa....a 15mm bar with a 6mm centre hole.  It doesn't move either.  No 15-18mm gap like wot I expected.  Bugger
cyclobutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclobutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 08:56
Originally posted by cugsy cugsy wrote:

Typical....bar ends turn up, I slice end off rubber grip and ..da..da..da..daa....a 15mm bar with a 6mm centre hole.  It doesn't move either.  No 15-18mm gap like wot I expected.  Bugger

Maybe tap the hole and then screw the bar ends directly to it?

Butch
V50 II - 'The Black Pearl'
T3 - 'Blue'
Eldo Loop - 'Jug'
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 12:04
All the bar ends I have used are standard but needed a bit of a filing to fit.

The EV has plugs in there to take end weights However on a bike with no slug in there be wary of using the ones often provided ...

After some head scratching I found Rawl bolts work brill with loooong dome headed Allen key bolts 6mm I think but check ...The advantage of the Rawl bolts are they are spring loaded, so if you need to take them out undo bolt a gentle tap the rawl bolt insert closes and will come out the rawl bolt insert is also substantial and adds weight ....

By the way the 1" bars on my EV are slugged down to the standard 7/8" which is a tad more than 22mm I found I had to use a file, but it does mean standard controls etc fit.

Unless you are fitting say a pod for the sat nav THEN you need the Harley 1" fitment, guess how I found out ..lol ....

The other advantage of Rawl bolt inners are you can, if you know someone with a lathe, get end weights made I do know a mate who molded his end weights in lead alloy ...bit of a faff but they look fantastic he used a type of solder alloy and it was for a custom bike with vibey Harley type engine ...
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic