guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cree Running Lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glawster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cree Running Lights
    Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 17:46
Now that almost everything on the road has some kind of permanent LED lighting I feel really nervous about riding without lights.  On the other hand, with old generating systems I'm never confident that the alternator is putting in more than I'm taking out when the headlight is on.  And standard sidelights are pretty useless for visibility.
There's plenty of LED Cree light options for additional lighting so I thought I'd go down this route.  I wanted the smallest, most discreet type and I got the ones below from Amazon at £23/pair.  They are 3 watts apiece so the total load is only 6 watts, which will hardly tax the electrical system.  I wired them into a spare fusebox position on the V7 Sport and into the stop light circuit on the T3 Cali.  In both cases they are permanently on with the ignition. I'm very pleased with the result, particularly on the V7 Sport where they are pretty much invisible under the headlamp.
Not sure if there's any issue with MOT testing, but neither of my bikes will need another MOT so no issue for me.
They are much brighter than they appear in the photos and certainly no requirement to use more powerful LEDs

[url=https://flic.kr/p/251nj4m]DSC_0001[1][/url] by Derek Wardell, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/262GRgh]DSC_0004[1][/url] by Derek Wardell, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23kBeAU]DSC_0006[1][/url] by Derek Wardell, on Flickr
1970 Guzzi V7 Ambassador
1955 Guzzi Falcone Sport
2021 BMW R1250R
1998 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 17:56
Can you turn them off at night, else will be wrong light pattern and too dazzling for oncoming drivers.

Also beware of the illusion of feeling safer just because you've got them on.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 18:07
Couple of years ago I was fussing with DRL's for the car, as doesn't have them and lots of others do, but kept failing as they were too cheap, so lashed out £60 on a Philips kit, still not fitted it yet, as I've lost the sense of 'urgency', just turn on normal lights if I need to.

However I got a Cree 18W unit (6 LED's) mounted on the front bar of the sidecar, to augment the headlight and draw attention to the fact there is a sidecar bolted on the left side of the bike, not just empty space. The lamp is mounted low and the main beam direction aimed down at the road so is not a nuisance in the dark.

HTH

Andrew_C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 18:13
II've got a couple of them on my Breva. On the handle bars, as far apart as possible to try to change the perceived shape of the single headlight. Not switched.

MOT  man's only comment in 4 years is "Cor - they're good, where did you get them?"
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 18:19
Fair enough.

I mention the dazzling at night thing 'cause it is becoming a big issue for many people; the RAC recently raised a news item about it. In the car world, aftermarket HID and LED conversions are going to be an MOT fail, meaning must be reverted to factory spec.

Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 19:06
Got them fixed into the hand guards on V1000 and fairing above indicators on EV yes they are bright but crucially not a focussed beam I wired them to the feed off the parking/pilot light so switch them on with sidelights great for daytime driving cars do see them the lens is a bullseye effect ....therefore not dazzling they are under £5 for 2 on e-bay easy to fit ...the wires tell it all so small low juice needed .... the wires are smaller than telecom cable ...hardest part was soldering the wires to the pilot +ve and one of the headlamp earth spades... way too thin to crimp .....both bikes have recently gone thro MOT ... ...
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 19:23
Originally posted by Mike H Mike H wrote:

In the car world, aftermarket HID and LED conversions are going to be an MOT fail, meaning must be reverted to factory spec.

Sadly, that won't address the aggressively bright rear and front arrays on current, new vehicles, and those bloody focused beans which always seem to glint blue in my mirrors and have me pull over to let a non-existent emergency vehicle through.

They look the biz, Derek. Good one.
Adam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 19:37
Old Royal Enfields used to have 2 small pilot lights set up as your 1st picture, car drivers waiting at junctions saw the lights as a distant car approaching, so pulled out of the junction...... 
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 22:45
A friend's AJS 350 had the same twin pilot lights.  They were quite dangerous if you only had them on as side lights.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 08:15
I've heard the same blither about the 'close together' headlights on early Landrovers. And was told the self-same thing when I fitted a twin-cibie fairing to my Ducati.
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 08:20
Just use the headlight. I always ride with the headlight on. Wired as DRL on the V7 2 in any case. I am pleased to hear the MOT will now cover this issue, too many lashed up lighting systems causing unnecessary dazzle fitted to cars. I also find that emergency vehicles cause too much dazzle at night too, they seem to have dozens of beacons, alternating flashing main, red, blue lights of all descriptions. Can't see a damn thing for ten minutes after passing one in the other direction or following one!

Edited by V7Chris - 13 Apr 2018 at 08:25
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 08:35
And just how many bike owners have fitted HID headlights, fairly common mod it seems, I've certainly seen mention of such things on these forums many times.

Far more dangerous to other road users due to the short wheelbase on a bike.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Wits View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 09:23
I totally agree to bright and too many lights. (I drive the bloody things.. Ambulances)
The problem is down to the office people (Fleet) who design the outside. Must be seen (Risk) Must meet the response time targets (Risk)

Also the massive increase in "emergency" calls all of which  drivers MUST ( Written warnings have been issued for not using them) use blue lights and sirens (if needed) at all times going to the emergency, even low priority calls day or night.

I had better crawl back under my rock nowLOL

Originally posted by V7Chris V7Chris wrote:

Just use the headlight. I always ride with the headlight on. Wired as DRL on the V7 2 in any case. I am pleased to hear the MOT will now cover this issue, too many lashed up lighting systems causing unnecessary dazzle fitted to cars. I also find that emergency vehicles cause too much dazzle at night too, they seem to have dozens of beacons, alternating flashing main, red, blue lights of all descriptions. Can't see a damn thing for ten minutes after passing one in the other direction or following one!
BMW 1200RTLC carbon BLack SOLD….
Breva 1100 2005 in Black SOLD.....
St George's Telford Shropshire.
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 12:43
Totally agree Wits mate ..... the office wallahs who decide this stuff have NO actual experience , some, even of actually driving But the lack of traffic Police also means the standards of driving has dropped down thro' the floor ..... There is very little driver education for the ordinary Driver. Unlike many Co drivers who have internal tests, risk assessments and driver training ......But back to these lights. makes sense to place them apart, the instructions DO say that, suggesting mirror stalks even, yes the English is a bit back to front ....simply put fitted with a bit of thought, they work, before these I have had a little oblong yellow lens fog light on my mudguard and over the yrs many other riders commented they could see it literally for miles BUT with the front tyre against a wall you can hardly tell the light is on ....it is that beam spread that is the key As I said these bulls eye Cree lights have a beam spread bright yes , dazzle no only if you get close and that would be way too close for a car just the length of the bonnet or rear seats etc are far enough to eliminate that ....
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
cyclobutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclobutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 13:22
My Loop came with no pilot light arrangement, though the instrument lights come on with the ignition (?). The reflector does have a hole for a pilot light though. So I just wired up an LED lamp and pushed it in there with a bit of split hose pipe to hold it. Presto - a day time running lamp. 

I don't put much store by these things mind. There is always some dick out there ready to run you down regardless.

Butch
V50 II - 'The Black Pearl'
T3 - 'Blue'
Eldo Loop - 'Jug'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic