FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil advice and Recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
parkerevan View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parkerevan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil advice and Recommendation
    Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 17:19
Make: Model: Year: Engine type: Performance modifications: Driving style: (road / off-road / track etc)

Moto Guzzi
V9 Bobber
850 E5
No modifications
Road

The Ducati dealer who sold me my near-new v9 overfilled the engine oil, and I have the pleasure of changing it. I'm excited to learn more about it.

The fill quantity, to my understanding, changed from 2L to 1.75L with the E5 specification update in 2021, and a confusing array of sources lend the servicer the old 2L number.

Any recommendations for all fluids would be great.

A specific question: if I were to use Liqui Moly for the trans and bevel box (as they supposedly use the same oil), would there be any issue with using their 75W-140 synthetic hypoid differential oil over their motorcycle specific gear oil?https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-rear-differential-oil-75w-140-m3-m5-m6-z4-83222282583?utm_source=liquimolysite
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 20:44
It has been said that yak fat will suffice so long as regular changes are done.LOL
A multigrade should be better as it will circulate more easily while the engine warms up, and cause less drag.

Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Dimi Pana View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dimi Pana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 19:52
Brian, thanks for reminding me that my MG Cali has a dry clutch, therefore no contact with engine oil. So no worries in that respect. So, I'll go for the recommended 20W-50 (Motul if I can find it) even though I do not ride in weather < ~5C or > ~40C. I mentioned that in a comment above, perhaps even a plain SAE40 would be OK for my riding habits. No?! 
-DP
Dimi Pana View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dimi Pana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 19:46
Paul, thanks for your feedback. Obviously, in my area, I do not ride during the harsh winters, and summer is usually around 30C and rarely over 38C. Plus. no city riding, just highway cruising at 120Km max. Even a plain SAE40 should work for my case but I guess the MG recommended 20W-50 is fine if not a bit overkill. And thanks for clarifying that newer full synthetic oils do not have the compatibility issues of the past. Cheers!
-DP
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 21:35
Bear in mind, the only issue with synthetics and plastic bearing gages will only apply to the gearbox. There are no bearings with plastic cages in the engine.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
paulbricey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 20:03
I'd go synthentic as modern ones don't have seal and other compatibility issues that very early synthetics had. BTW your questions only relate to oil viscometrics (look up SAE J300 for the full specs) and I think 10W50 or 10W60 would work fine for your temperatures & engine. 

Synthetics also generally have better performance specs (API, ACEA, OEMS, JASO etc) & the specs are based on both the range and results of a host of engine bench tests and rig tests (and field testing). Overall though you only need to meet or exceed the original spec of the oil guzzi state for your bike; and since over time specs generally get better and harder; it's harder to buy rubbish ones - especially if you go for a reliable brand. 
Griso 1200 8V, V50
Dimi Pana View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dimi Pana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 04:02
Hello all, 2001 MG California Special (Bassa) from the NW suburbs of Chicago, USA.

The manual says use Agip 4T SUPER RACING (?!) SAE 20W/50. This is my first oil change, previous owner used same multi-grade viscosity Motul 3000 T instead because the Agip brand is so hard to find on our side of the pond. I've read about some people going to a 10W-60 which is what bikes much newer than mine are using (i.e. 2007 California Vintage). However, I am more inclined to go lower to -say- a 15W or at most a 10W (winter's too cold to ride) and to a 40 or 50 for the higher number, our summers do get around 30-35 C.

Also, I have heard that using full synthetic is not recommended for Guzzi's built up to -say- the mid 1990s, somehow additives attack the plastic casings of bearings" found in these older bikes, so a standard mineral based oil is preferred. My Cali is a bit later built and if the factory recommended Agip is full synthetic, I should be good to go with that as long as it meets the specified requirements and viscosity.

What is your feedback about all this? 

Thank you!
-DP
Diesel Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diesel Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 13:54
I don’t think so as they the ATF is only used for the torque converter and not to lubricate the gearbox or clutch plates in a car type auto-box.

I used ATF Dexron II from Smith and Allan, at the last swap, you get 5 litres for around 20 quid.

Of course I bow to the cognoscenti on the forum if they have greater knowledge.
jmee54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmee54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 15:48
V1000 iConvert 1979.

Hi, is there any need to shop around for a special ATF oil for the torque converter?

I have read all sorts of recommendations including aircraft hydraulic oil.

Cheers John.
paulbricey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 09:42
IMHO It will work no problem but may need changing more often than a full synth/modern additive package.....personally I'd stick with full ester synthetic 10W50 (or 10W60) like Motul for the extra high temperature engine areas protection (pistons/rings/bores mainly).

For Winter grade, although 20W is technically fine for down to -5C ish but it's getting close to treacle; 10W will crank (CCS) & pump (MRV TP-1) much better (faster) on cold mornings.....(I used to do arctic circle engine oil testing down to -40C). 
Griso 1200 8V, V50
Mouse View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 08:58
Make: MG
Model: California 1100i
Year: 1996
Engine type:
Performance modifications: nil
Driving style: road-touring

Range of temperatures from 5 degrees to 25 for New Zealand Winter-Summer

Question Is a Penrite HPR30 20w60 full zinc usable?

Have used Motul Twin Syn 20w50 with no problems.
also 10W 40
" love for the bike can, almost by magic, unleash the energy trapped in the hearts of men, and illuminate the dungeons of the soul."
(Claudio Costa)
rvickerm View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rvickerm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 12:50
Cheers Rollo ... much appreciated .... new to MG's
rvickerm
Rollo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 12:14
Part  diagrams and numbers;

Edited by Rollo - 27 Dec 2021 at 12:18
rvickerm View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rvickerm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 11:50
Hi ... yes its the one on flea bay.... do you know the bike?
Link to the owners manual is perfect, thank you.
Regards 
rvickerm
rvickerm View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rvickerm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 11:32
Cheers Rollo.
rvickerm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic