guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Oil
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil advice and Recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 15:34
There's even an Ironing board contingent.
jmee54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmee54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 13:24
I have been experiencing quite a bit of slippage in my Convert's Torque converter and having just read a bit about it on the Yahoo site discussing problems with certain AT fluids, can anyone recommend a good UK available brand, please?
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 13:39
http://www.luk.co.uk/content.luk.co.uk/en/products/products.jsp

I bet these would tell you what fluid to use.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 23:15
Sure it's not the clutch slipping?

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Oldtag View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 20:03
Hi
2016 v7ii Stone, normal riding conditions 😀😀
oilman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oilman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 11:11
Hi

Oddly, there is no information about the oil required on our databases. Is there anything in the handbook?

Cheers

Tim
Use the code GUZZIRIDERS and get 10% Club Discount
Email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
Phone: 01209 202944
Oldtag View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 11:34
Have yet to pick it up, I hear 10/60 on forums,but some say 20/50
oilman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oilman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 12:27
Hi

When you get it, let me know what it says and I'll see what we can do.

Cheers

Tim
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 14:07
I'm fairly sure 10W60 is the one Guzzi tell you to use. Of course there are always the older members on forums who have always used 20W50 because that's what they grew up with.Wink
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
oilman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oilman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 15:18
Hi

Yes, I would assume 10w-60, but in case they have changed it for some reason, I don't want to get it wrong.

Cheers

Tim
NevadaJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NevadaJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 19:28
Yes 10/60 is what MG recommend. I now buy all my lubes from Opie: great service and very competitive prices. After the last dealer service you may remember I drained very black oil from the bevel box.  I've now discovered the reason. Motul make a final drive oil with added graphite and that's what was used!
Although MG say there's no need for additives, there are many who would say that oil with graphite or adding Molyslip makes sense. I'm happy to accept both views on the basis that additives like graphite and Moly are unlikely to do any harm. But we don't have any evidence that they enhance the lubricity of modern oils with their sophistication and nanotechnology. Now here's a thing... does anyone know the torque setting for the drain plugs on, for example, the V7 Stone II engine? Info not in the owners or service manuals and I'm really shy of overtightning because the plugs are a great deal harder than the alloy parts that they screw into! Oh, and incidentally, the washers specified for the bevel box on my Nevada are Dowty washers and they have a habit of weeping. What was the matter with good old alu compression washers I ask! Ah I feel a lot better now even though one of my spark plugs caps has broken up internally and I'm still waiting for replacements from Lake Garda! Ride safe.
Nevada John
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 18:06
During my search for a 20/50 with a high ZDDP content at a reasonable price I found a company called RYE OILS.They do a range of lubricants at the best prices I have seen. I ordered a 25 litre drum of 20/50 and a 5 litre can of EP90 gear oil yesterday and they arrived this afternoon post free.https://www.ryeoil.co.uk/shop/classic-20w50-engine-oil-2/ £54 for 25 litres seems good to me.
The engine oil has a ZDDP content of 1600 ppm which is good for old flat tappet engines.The EP90 is GL3/GL4 rated which unlike GL5 doesn't attack brass or bronze bushes (apparently)

Edited by Dave P. - 28 Jun 2017 at 18:14
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NevadaJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 19:21
Good for you. Incidentally some of you may know that some oil was leaking from the bevel box on my Nevada 750 Anniversario. Two weeks ago I removed the breather and found it to be completely blocked with rust and grime. After cleaning it out the problem seems all but resolved now. I just hope the over pressurisation hasn't brown one of the two oil seals (input or output). Any ideas anyone?
Nevada John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NevadaJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 19:22
I mean "blown" not brown! Sorry
Nevada John
DavieL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavieL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 00:43
Q does anyone know the torque setting for the drain plugs on, for example, the V7 Stone II engine?

A A light nip. If it leaks an extra tweek should sort it Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
  Share Topic