guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Loop Frames
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Loop vibes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simmoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loop vibes
    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 17:51
So before I start wasting even more time tinkering in the riding season....are Loop (Eldo) vibes through the boards normal. i am talking about the tingling vibes that leave your feet with pins and needles. Not much through the bars at all and mostly at higher revs. Normal or not? I think its always been like this in my short ownership. Possible candidates? The HT circuit is newish and timing is good, carbs are balanced. Only slightly odd noise is from the front - possibly the generator pulley or nuts could be or might have been rubbing....I'm experimenting. Belt is on its loosest setting with no shims visible at the front....,maybe it's slipping? MoT said rear wheel bearings slight free play - doubt this is relevant...

Any knowledge gratefully accepted :-)

Cheers

Edited by Simmoto - 19 Apr 2018 at 18:23
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 18:02
Ignition timing might be a gnat's too advanced?

Question for the x'perts: not sure about loops but do they vibrate in the footboard / footrest region if the universal joint is failing? (Tonti's do)

-
"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Simmoto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simmoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 18:25
Ta Mike, a good thought, I can check the timing again...
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 23:49
Originally posted by Mike H Mike H wrote:

Ignition timing might be a gnat's too advanced?

Question for the x'perts: not sure about loops but do they vibrate in the footboard / footrest region if the universal joint is failing? (Tonti's do)

-

Yes, Loops do too.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Simmoto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simmoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 06:08
if that's the case it'll get worse or fail so no action. I think it's unlikely as gearbox rebuilt by Mark Etheridge not long ago and vibes on both sides equally not more on the right. 

I did static timing last night; dynamic harder as no rev counter

ranton_rambler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranton_rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 06:22
Have you checked generator bracket? They can crack or the fixings can come loose. I've had both, and it does cause vibration.
This Old Tractor has some fixes.
Ian
Simmoto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simmoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 07:51
thanks, yes I went over the bike in the winter and it seems well anchored.  I guess it could be generator bearings. Also need to ride it without the belt cover on to make sure no fouling as there are marks inside. Could it be clutch? PO changed it. 

Just rode it to work, about 30 miles,  great at 45-50 mph in 5th but gets progressively more tingly vibes as you go faster

It might be just how it is. It has floorboards and they are not isolated at all but bolted to the front and rear engine/box mounting bolts so will directly transmit vibes to my boots. 

Edited by Simmoto - 20 Apr 2018 at 14:04
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 13:09
Have you checked the two engine/gearbox mounting bolts?
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Simmoto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simmoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 14:03
thanks, yes they are well torqued up
jmee54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmee54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 16:50
I never experienced vibes. That is a bit of a worry. I changed the UJ and bearing, but just the actual centre cross of the UJ though. The fit into the bearing was not a tight interference fit, and questions online said it was normal and to use some bearing locktite, which I did. Before that I rode around France and Belgium (1500 miles) and suffered no vibrations at all. My riding after was mainly local ish, up to 100 miles and then back and I don't recall anything untoward. The UJ is the only thing that comes to mind, as anything that I changed that could possibly be a problem. Not a loose exhaust, or something in the vicinity loose?
Simmoto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simmoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 18:52
Hi feels to me electrical maybe capacitor is duff, who knows? Thanks for taking the time to think about it. Good to know about the UJ work
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 19:48
Originally posted by Simmoto Simmoto wrote:

It might be just how it is. It has floorboards and they are not isolated at all but bolted to the front and rear engine/box mounting bolts so will directly transmit vibes to my boots. 

Yeah but no but, what jmee said, I never had vibrations thru the boots either - albeit we're talking footrests not boards, but are still solidly attached to the frame - except in one case, when there was a problem. What this was became apparent in due course, when the UJ literally exploded. (Seriously. I was wondering what is this bluddy vibration I keep getting, then bang ...)

Ouch

I would have swing arm off for a coating of looking at...

HTH

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 20:43
I remember that sort of thing when riding my Norton Commando. Heard a rattle, bent down to check if the exhaust pipe clamps were still tight, and Bang, big hole in the crankcase and half a con rod sticking out.
Moral of the story????
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Simmoto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simmoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 21:43
So if I put it on the main stand rev in neutral and vibes are still there it can't be the driveshaft...
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 22:48
That should be the case.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic