guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V50 MONZA rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 17:37
Hi Chris,
My 1982 V35II was imported from Italy some years ago.. Part of th paperwork I have includes email exchanges between PO and the DVLA.

In one email re the frame number the DVLA state "It should be PD , the DGM number is the Italian homologation number and is not required in the UK" .

The Laverda 750SF1 I owned some years ago also had a DGM number :-

It also had a plate on the headstock which repeated the frame number but not the DGM part.

My V35II frame starts PD18 , the engine PC 02.

I hope this helps..

Best wishes,
Adrian
Bristol UK
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 13:13
Following an independent inspection by DVLA (during which the inspector confirmed that he thought the bike was genuine etc.) they have declined to register the bike under its frame number and are insisting that a new 17 digit VIN is stamped on the frame, followed by MG Club dating certificate including that all major parts are age appropriate (a service that I am not even sure thy do)
My question is has anybody ever obtained a certificate of origin from the factory and if so what does it contain

CHRIS   
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Motty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 13:16
If Moto Guzzi is anything like the Japanese manufacturers,
it would be easier (and more accurate) to get a dating certificate from the owners club

Edited by Motty - 20 Nov 2019 at 13:19
It’s more fun to try to ride a slow bike fast .....
AdrianW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 16:45
Chris,
I tend to agree with Motty..  What are the numbers on your bike that they are having so much trouble with?? As yours too is an import I doubt very much that they have a duplicate on their database..

Perhaps you could point them at :-

https://www.mgcn.nl/database/mg-framenummers

I cannot find anything easily that lists engine numbers at present although I did find something when checking mine - can't remember what I did with it Embarrassed

Cheers,
Adrian
Bristol UK

AdrianW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 16:57
Sorry Chris,
Have just read back through the history on this so my comments not really useful.. sorry..
The Dutch file also shows 2 entries for PF , I guess one should be  PE..  My V35II is PD (1982).

I seem to recall mine has the frame number stamped into the headstock somewhere.. It's dark and bloody cold in my garage now but I'll take a look tomorrow.. Don't remember seeing a VIN plate on mine but my memory isn't what it was...

Cheers,
Adrian
Bristol UK
Motty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 18:42
Originally posted by AdrianW AdrianW wrote:

Don't remember seeing a VIN plate on mine but my memory isn't what it was...

Adrian, don't bother going out to a cold garage, they do have a VIN plate as well as the numbers stamped on the headstock
It’s more fun to try to ride a slow bike fast .....
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 19:14
I have decided to join MG Club and to use their dating service following correspondence from Keith Hock who runs the service after he assured me that he can issue a certificate based on numbers from the bike. However DVLA have stated that registration will only take place after I have had my frame stamped with a newly allocated 17 digit VIN number . This stamping is proving to be a major stumbling block as no one wants to do it (I think it`s more a case of not wanting to get involved with DVLA) neither franchised dealers or independents. One dealer told me that there might be a possibility that the frame number is showing as being scrapped on the DVLA database, which would explain there insistence on a new VIN. The dealer said that he had heard of a case before where this had happened so if this were the case then I need to get my frame checked for damage. Unfortunately the DVLA are loathe to part with any information so I`m between a rock and a hard place at the minute

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 21:17
I would have thought that if the bikeit came from was marked as a cat B or S, the DVLA would have to tell you if only for safety reasons.
I wouldn't think they would just say stamp a new number.

Did you ask the DVLA any direct questions, like has it been marked as a cat B or S?
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 22:03
Each time I speak to the DVLA it`s like pulling teeth, so far everything is just theory. I got the letter this morning which she has said is a reply to my email dated 15th October, so urgency doesn`t seem to be an option. The trouble with the scrapped theory is that the frame would not legally be allowed to be reregistered and there would be an `end of life` certificate issued which would be on the database.

CHRIS   

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 07:44
Brian.

Ian T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 08:26
I have used a similar set to stamp a new frame for my Ural. Ahem!!!

It is quite simple and satisfies the MOT police. 

Cheers

Ian
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 11:28
The problem with my bike is that not only does the frame have to be stamped but a DVLA acknowledgement has to be signed and stamped by a dealer/garage. I could stamp it myself but I can`t get round the dealer stamp issue.
Looking on a more positive note I could look out for another frame with V5C and just swap everything over which may cause me less stress and save me money maybe.

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 12:11
I suppose the problem is that you've asked therefore are on their radar. Your idea of a replacement documented frame is probably going to be the safest route.

Re VIN plate - mine had one but as it described it as a V35 (had an engine swap to V50 well before I bought it, and was originally a V35 import) I just took it off and put it somewhere safe.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 12:57
Made some headway this morning with relation to VIN number following long conversation with HPI. They have checked their record (which is same as DVLA) and my VIN has 8 listings against it as they don`t use the two letter prefix only the five numbers! Hence one of the listings refers to an ancient Land Rover that was scrapped years ago. Interestingly two Moto Guzzi 493cc bikes come up but none with a matching engine number.
Of further interest is their offer to open a case on my behalf to get all information held relating to my Vin, especially relevant if the factory can supply a certificate of origin. On this latter point I am not holding my breath but it would be nice if the factory records could show that my engine is also correct.

There`s me thinking I hadn`t got a project for the winter    

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 13:13
Well at least you have found someone who will actually help. Such a shame the DVLA were the opposite.

But they couldn't come up with a match for your VIN and your engine number?
Brian.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
  Share Topic