guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V50 MONZA rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V50 MONZA rebuild
    Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 09:52
Started on the boxes of bits that are currently my MONZA project decided to check out the engine which looks to have been bead blasted. The engine was seized so full strip was only solution, however when I tipped the lump forward what appeared to be sand came out of the alternator cavity !!!(2 tablespoons) Further stripping saw one piston with sand on top of it (1 tablespoon)

It appears the engine and gearbox have been sand blasted as a lump by some numpty doing a quick clean up job!!!!

What a waste of a fine old engine, hopefully I can recover enough pieces to make it a viable proposition

CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 10:13
Provided it hasn't been turned over it may be OK inside?
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 14:45
Originally posted by iansoady iansoady wrote:

Provided it hasn't been turned over it may be OK inside?

I`m assuming the worst, if someone's dim enough to sand blast a built motor then they`re potentially likely to try and start it, also the gearbox was attached so it got the same treatment
It looks as if the bottom end may have survived although the rods are rusty.
All will be revealed when I`ve washed all the parts.
On a positive note the chassis and bodywork are in quite good nick
I`m loath to let a Monza be lost so maybe a keeper regardless of cost
CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 15:33
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 22:23
Holy crap Ouch

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
dan_s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 06:28
This engine is sending you a message:"i'm a wheelbarrow, i have sand in me, you deserve better".
So I'd put in the lovely monza an engine with acceptablepower, like a V65.
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 10:54
Originally posted by dan_s dan_s wrote:

This engine is sending you a message:"i'm a wheelbarrow, i have sand in me, you deserve better".
So I'd put in the lovely monza an engine with acceptablepower, like a V65.

Funnily enough I had the engine in a wheelbarrow when I unloaded it at my end so maybe I should just have added cement

I have the basics of the original engine ie. casings a bottom end and the heads look to be salvageable. The jury is still out on the pistons and barrels so all is not lost. I will retain the casings at all costs just to save the original engine numbers however it looks to be a long and patient renovation just to obtain parts.

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 09:12
Update on Monza engine strip down it looks like most things are salvageable now that I`ve cleaned out the crap except for at least one cylinder but probably both, so looking into rechroming them if I can find someone reliable. The pistons may be salvageable but its a big `maybe` seeing as the rings had to be chiselled out
CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 09:14
You sure they are chrome bores? Thought they were Nikasil.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 11:17
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

You sure they are chrome bores? Thought they were Nikasil.

The chunk that's come off certainly looks like chrome and workshop manual mentions chrome as not being machinable
CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 11:23
Looking for a company that can replate my Monza cylinders has anyone got any recommendations

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

dan_s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 15:02
Tried gutsibits or motomecca for new cylinders?
There are several firms in England who replate nikasil.

c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 15:43
Just an update on my Monza restoration I have managed to source an excellent pair of cylinders from Ebay (seller homernmarj) but DVLA have put a spanner in the works. Spoke to DVLA today, the actual person dealing with my case, (now there`s a novelty) very helpful lady, who told me that the reg and the frame number don`t match their records. I now have to send in more photos of the boxes of bits etc. so that they can do more investigating in order to assign me an age related plate.
This restoration is proving a proper challenge, not least on my patience as the frame has no stampings on it apart from Moto Guzzi which is covered up by the Vin plate, so potentially the frame could be a `ringer` or the vin plate is fake. Oh joy       

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 17:07
Bum. Ouch

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 12:50
Just finished trawling the web for bike parts and came across a SWISS listing on Ebay selling blank Moto Guzzi vin plates, which for extra money they will engrave

Makes me wonder about my own situation!!!!!

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic