guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V50 MONZA rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuv65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 12:33
I was refused an MOT last month as the guy couldn't read the frame number stamped on the headstock.  Told me it could easily be a ringer!!

Now I'm worried as there must be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many 1984 Lario ringers out there !!!!!!!!

The only useful advice he gave me was to re-stamp the frame.  Now if you can legally re-stamp a frame doesn't that lend itself to abuse?

confused...

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 13:08
On my Norge the VIN plate is buried behind the fairing. You can see it, but a bunch of cables prevents anyone reading the number.
Presumably your tester would have refused an MOT for this too. But I can't present the bike without the fairing so he could read the number as that means no front lights.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 15:35
My local MoT place always asks for the V5C or an old MoT to be taken along so he can read the VIN off that. Probably highly illegal.....
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 15:50
One time it was insisted we get the VIN off the frame, never mind it was on the V5 and the DVLA database .. Ouch

I kept cocking it up by interpreting one of the 5-pointed stars as a '4', "No", he kept saying,"it dunna match what I got here, try again"

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 10:41
There is currently a red V50 frame on Ebay for £60 but when I messaged the buyer about any numbers on the frame he stated that "all the numbers are there and that by separate negotiation I could buy the V5 which was currently in use on his other bike"

It looks like mix and match is more prevalent than I first thought!!!!

CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 13:36
Blimey...

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 14:44
Trying to find out the relevance of the numbers stamped on the bottom rim of each barrel (1611505 and 1611506) as I try to match with my pistons which are stamped C (largest size). So far can`t find barrels listed separately on any of my usual research sites and can`t find any other marks on barrels apart from Guzzi eagle.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

rapheal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapheal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 12:28
Nah hes just a crook !!

c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 09:15
Following sand in the engine I am now faced with a powder coated swing arm that has not been masked off, hence pivot threads are now coated. Is there an easy way to remove powder coating from threads without having to recut the thread bearing in mind it`s an M20 X 1 fine thread in aluminium

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 09:59
I'd try a series of different solvents - acetone, cellulose thinners etc but suspect none of them will touch the powder coating. Some might soften it.

Tracy tools will do you a tap for £12+ if you need to go that way. https://www.tracytools.com/taps-and-dies/metric-taps-dies/20-x-1-metric

Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 10:05
I would cut round the threaded hole then try to peel off the coating from the threads with a scriber or similar pointy tool.

Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
dan_s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 11:37
Paint remover
Steve-e View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve-e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 17:22
If you go down the paint stripper route, Starchem Synstryp actually works.
Take care using it though.
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 16:34
Couldn`t manage to dislodge powder coating from threads so took advice from local powder coating company who said to retap the threads as the only sure way of not causing damage.
The swing arm bearings in the gearbox casing did cause major headaches with even my blind hole bearing puller unable to shift them. After watching various videos of bearing removal including using bread, plasticine, wet kitchen roll I ended up using a miniature cutting disc in the Dremmel to remove inner race before finally using puller and slide hammer to remove outer race.
It appears MG use Loctite on their bearings, which after 37 years sets like super glue but at least I`m progressing, albeit slowly

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 20:36
On the subject of bearing lock. I know it's obvious (NOW!) I bought some on Ebay, not Loctite but a lot cheaper in exactly the same bottle but it really isn't very good. Just a tip to anyone needing bearing lock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic