guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Spine Frame
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V7 Cafe vs 1100 Sport

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V7 Cafe vs 1100 Sport
    Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 18:04
Hello, I'm considering a change to an 1100 Sport from my V7 Cafe '09. The 1100 is at NLM, it's a bit of a journey from Newcastle so would appreciate if anyone can tell me of any known issues I need to be aware of. Also, is the 1100 suitable for 75% 12 mile commutes and 25% long rides out of approximately 100 miles? Thanks. 
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 18:46
i have seen the bike it looks good for year but I would phone them and ask if it's ready to ride away and are there any little things that need sorting . Personally if you got longish arms and no belly you will fit them well . I love them but I know plenty of folk who hate them

Edited by johnno - 31 Jul 2018 at 18:49
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Adam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 19:09
Ta Johnno, my belly and arms appear to be suitable😀
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 19:27
Oh that's a shame, my large belly and short arms would be no good then! I seem to have exactly the wrong proportions!
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 20:16
its all in the mind bit like wanting to own any guzzi
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Doug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 20:59
I had a Sport 1100i for 3 years and used it pretty much the way you intend to. A commute of 13 miles from South Shields to Gateshead and blasts around Northumberland/Durham/N.Yorks on weekends.

It wasn't the best commuter bike I've ever had especially in slow moving traffic although it was a pleasure to ride out in the sticks. Fuel consumption used to plummet in traffic too.

I sold it last July as the riding position wasn't doing my wrists or hips any good, which seems strange as for the previous 16 years I'd been doing the same journeys on a MK1 Le Mans. It had to go though, after one particular day out my left wrist became so painful I could hardly use the clutch and my hips just about seized up. Mind you, plenty other folk have no problems at all. You'd be best off having a decent test ride first if that's possible. I'm a 6 foot tall gangly specimen, maybe it was just my body shape.

I ended up with a Stelvio for weekend use and trips away and use a 650 V Strom to get back and forth to work.
MelJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 21:55
if you buy one for commuting, it’s a triumph of hope over experience....

They are hard, harsh, if it’s a carbie model the throttle is heavy, the clutch is heavy and there’s no Cush drive in the rearwheel. The bars are low, the pegs high, the seat hard, it’s a long bike and slow steering, and the mirrors are crap. 

They were outdated in the 90s when I had mine and they are essentially ancient relics now. Nothing wrong with that, just be aware of what you are buying.

On a good A road with good tarmac and sweeping bends they are fantastic, thrilling visceral machines and a joy. Anywhere else they are an anachronism Smile
Adam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 22:59
Thanks Doug and Mel J.
Doug we must be in a parallel universe commute and physique wise. 
Mel J you may have sparked a memory of my suffering with a Triton that sounds similar to your description of traffic trouble. 
I'm probably one of the few who's replaced clip ons on a cafe to standard bars for comfort over style😀
Thanks again chaps your words of wisdom have sorted my dilemma (probably) 🤔👍
nab301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nab301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 20:10
Pop your  vital statistics in here  and play around  with bar and peg height  ...  If it 's a mid  90's  bike  they  look very  bad on the hips  when I keyed in my detailsShocked
Nigel
Keep smiling , it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
'19 CB125F,

'18 DL250 SUZUKI V STROM,'99 Bmw R1100S, '03Bullet 65 500, '93 MZ301 Saxon fun (offroad)
Adam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 22:19
Thanks Nab301 that's excellent, I'm spooked how it already knew my vital statistics.😮
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic