guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nevada handlebars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nevada handlebars
    Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 23:03
Having used my 1994 750 Nevada for this summer I cannot get used to high handlebars, (I know shouldn't have bought a cruiser.) Most trouble is when cruising 65 - 70 mph would prefer to lean forward to ease wind pressure but uncomfortable with high bars.
 Has any one fitted lower bars and were you happy with result.
I guess I will have to change cables but would like to keep controls and switches.
Other problem is high passenger seat makes it difficult to dismount with my little legs, never carry passenger so thinking of single seat. wonder if Nevada club seat will fit.
Overall very happy with bike, very stable, enough power just need to alter riding position to suit me
George

1994 Nevada
1962 Lightweight ducati Bevel Single
Son's 1990 1000S to borrow any time
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 10:04
I think any bars from a similar model would fit, and the controls would transfer. You might get away with "losing" the extra control cables too.

Can't answer the seat query, but most Guzzi parts are mix and match, so the odds are that it would work.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
jefrs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jefrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 12:46
I too have short legs. I was shown a trick by the local bike instructors (one gets to know other bikers) - to put one's knee firmly into the seat pushing the bike down and then slide it alongside the tank, the foot does not go over the pillion. Getting off is the reverse - except I also have a mobility problem and cannot fold my knee like that without a lot of pain and so have to do it straight legged - my foot will hit a high pillion, seat rails or top box.
This limits my choice of bikes and fittings, and every bike I've had in recent years has had to have minor fit modifications to suit my physique. 

If you replace high bars with lower one, you can probably keep the same cables. Going the other way needs longer ones. Whatever you do, the bars must not hit the tank
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 13:18
Originally posted by jefrs jefrs wrote:

I too have short legs. I was shown a trick by the local bike instructors (one gets to know other bikers) - to put one's knee firmly into the seat pushing the bike down and then slide it alongside the tank, the foot does not go over the pillion. Getting off is the reverse - except I also have a mobility problem and cannot fold my knee like that without a lot of pain and so have to do it straight legged - my foot will hit a high pillion, seat rails or top box.
This limits my choice of bikes and fittings, and every bike I've had in recent years has had to have minor fit modifications to suit my physique. 

If you replace high bars with lower one, you can probably keep the same cables. Going the other way needs longer ones. Whatever you do, the bars must not hit the tank
Thanks for tip. I will give that a try, although tank is high maybe with low rise bars I will be able to lean forward more. Will fit new handlebars first and go on from there
George

1994 Nevada
jefrs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jefrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 01:07
For ideas look at pics of the similar styled Royal Enfield Thunderbird, which is only really sold in India, but they sell millions of them, and they customise them, Guzzi sales are small potatoes by comparison. It may look like a knock-off of a Nevada but the underlying design is 1948 and even pre-war, so maybe not. If you can think of something that can be done to a bike, or shouldn't be done, they'll have done it.
Importing parts like handlebars from India though is not so much a lottery as russian roulette.

Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 08:50
https://www.feked.com/handle-bars/handle-bars-en/

Lots of bars here to choose from.Provided your originals are 7/8" diameter.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
jefrs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jefrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 14:37
Something, maybe nothing - 
I found the foot pegs on the V7II Stone to be too high (I am not normal proportions, short legs, long back), they were folding my knees too much and lifting them higher making me want to sit up further. I fitted 2-in lowered ones (from Knight Design). Doesn't seem much but it straightened my knees to less painful and dropped them lower, which rotates my hips straightening my back and letting me lean forwards better. They are lower, I have scraped a toe but not the peg. 
It's not always the bars that let you lean forwards, it can well be the sitting position.
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 18:34
I have lowered foot pegs today and found more comfortable
Ordered handlebars today. 
The other problem I had with high rise bars is that with wrists higher than elbows tended to steer round corners rather than leaning into corner pushing down handlebar on corner side as recommended by IAM 
George

1994 Nevada
jefrs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jefrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 23:19
Also that pulling back on the bars, hanging onto them, will make a bike wander about at speed, rather than leaning onto them lightly and counter-steering to guide the bike. 

George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 12:46
Riding position alterations now complete. 50 mile test run today.
Low rise bars fitted. Foot pegs lowered and moved back about one inch. Wide foot pegs changed for usual type. Chrome air vents under tank and passenger back rest/grab bars removed.
Ride control much improved, more comfortable for my riding style. 
Long clutch cable re-routed. getting rid of tight bends has made clutch lighter. 
As handlebars are not in the way I can get on and off easier.
Pushing bike around is much easier and I can now get through garden door with ease, high bars are wider than doorway.
All in all a worthwhile modification and to me it looks more like a conventional motorcycle. 

George

1994 Nevada
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 16:49
come on George a picture please
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 19:12
will post photo when it stops raining
George

1994 Nevada
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 19:57
Photos of Nevada with new handlebars. 
Might not win a beauty contest but bike is now a delight to ride. Should even start using sides of tyres now.Clap

George

1994 Nevada
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 20:21
That's about where handlebars should be - in my opinion.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 08:18
looking good , Thumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic