guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V7 III Special - Bar End Mirrors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guzziboy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V7 III Special - Bar End Mirrors
    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 14:11
Hi All

Apologies for the boring post, but does anyone have any ideas on where I can source some bar end mirrors for my guzzi v7 III?

Short of paying £380 - £580 for the OEM MG parts, I’m really struggling to find anything decent or even affordable. Lots of threads refer to Corsica Italia here in the UK, but It’s gone out of business sadly.

Found a converter kit but it’s made in the US - https://www.rhinomoto.com/https:/www.rhinomoto.com/piaggio-2-piece-mirror-mounts/

But then I’d have to buy the mirrors separately, so it’s all a bit of a faff; does anyone know of a good make or online shop that will sell bar ends mirrors for the guzzi or even another motorcycle brand that will fit? Any experience, advice – including give up mate welcome!

Cheers

rapheal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapheal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 09:55
Dont the bars have built in weights ?
bar end mirrors can be a pain in traffic, easy to clip a car and lose control or snap them off
could you not just buy a set and get some one to make an adaptor to go in place of the bar ends ?
or get these British ones that come with an expanding sleeve
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 10:05
I think al the Guzzi bars have a threaded hole in the end for the weights to fit so the expanding ones wouldn't fit.

You might be able to remove the weights and fit a bar end in their place with a suitable bolt. Though you might experience more vibration without the weights. But the weight of the mirrir would offset this a little.

Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
guzziboy7 View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guzziboy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 13:21
Cheers guys.

Yeah they are threaded handlebars so the insert types don't fit.

I'm kind of close to giving up on this and sticking with the stock mirrors, as I ride mostly around town they could be a pain.

Thanks anyway!
Glawster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glawster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 14:00
I'm a big fan of CRG Hindsight Bar End Mirrors.  Beautifully made, good view behind and clamp onto the outside of the bars.  I use them on all my old bikes but they also fitted on a Ducati GT1000 I had.  Not sure of the diameter of modern Guzzi handlebars, but if they fit I don't think you'll find a better solution.

DSC_0860 by Derek Wardell, on Flickr

1970 Guzzi V7 Ambassador
1955 Guzzi Falcone Sport
2021 BMW R1250R
1998 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Glawster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glawster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 14:04
Found a photo of the GT1000 with CRG mirror (I sold it some years ago).  Looks like you can fit the mirror and then put the bar end back on.  Sorted!

1970 Guzzi V7 Ambassador
1955 Guzzi Falcone Sport
2021 BMW R1250R
1998 Cagiva Gran Canyon
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 14:06
Raphael is right, bar ends can cause a problem. Many, many years ago on my way to work on the A40 filtering through traffic I clipped the right hand one against a car and it flipped back over my throttle hand. Result was bruised knees from bouncing off a couple of vehicles before I could get to the front brake and red faced apologies to the several drivers I had so rudely startled.Embarrassed
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
Bugsy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 16:46
I use traditional bar end mirrors on my old brit bikes, so they do fold easily and fit without worrying about bar end weights 'cos there aren't any.

Bikes like my 750 Breva have bar end weights as standard of course. Now, some of the very cheap mirrors on a certain auction site (e.g. item 173640140289) come with weights to which the mirror stems bolt. Can the mirrors not just be bolted to the existing bar end weights? Be a lot less fuss and vastly cheaper than the "official" solution.

Edited by Bugsy - 20 Nov 2018 at 16:51
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 17:02
That one has the expansion fitting, not possible on later Guzzis.
If you could clamp it on the bar end weight of course.....
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Bugsy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 19:00
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

That one has the expansion fitting, not possible on later Guzzis.
If you could clamp it on the bar end weight of course.....

That's it Brian! Only if someone has tried it can we know.

May have to spend some money...
Bugsy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 16:09
And I have.

Bought a pair from eBay item number 351051050720 

Certainly cheap and straight away I can confirm they will not fit over the standard bar end weight. However, with a longer 6mm fixing bolt they may work on the end of the bar end and when I try them I will report, but rear wheel with new tyre to be fought into place first.

The mirrors will do for our tandem if they don't work on the Breva at which point I will be hunting again... 
TexMexStrada View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexMexStrada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 01:57
Originally posted by Bugsy Bugsy wrote:

And I have.

Bought a pair from eBay item number 351051050720 

Certainly cheap and straight away I can confirm they will not fit over the standard bar end weight. However, with a longer 6mm fixing bolt they may work on the end of the bar end and when I try them I will report, but rear wheel with new tyre to be fought into place first.

The mirrors will do for our tandem if they don't work on the Breva at which point I will be hunting again... 

Did they work out for you after all? I use CRG's Hindsight Lanesplitters, as some of the folks commenting above, and love them, great mirrors. Great field of vision, decent stability, and the folding feature is excellent. I shot a quick review if you want to see them on the bike from different angles https://youtu.be/SyHKShmV2nk
TexMexStrada
2018 V7III Stone
Bugsy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 16:51
Yes they did - forgot that I wanted to comment on the result.

They fit by clamping onto the inboard end of the bar end weight. With a slightly longer bolt the bar end can be tightened sufficiently to hold the mirror/bar end combination in place firmly. I used a thick "O" ring to disguise the slight gap between mirror boss and rubber handlebar grip.

The view of the road is excellent though be aware that the image is smaller than the standard mirror gives but I find it plenty big enough.
Bugsy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 17:02
Nice video, btw. My bar end mirrors are far cheaper than the spring loaders you have, being fixed though they would undoubtedly fold if forced, just not flick back!

I agree that you have to learn to look in a slightly different place compared with standard mirrors but the deliberate action of looking engages you in riding safely, which is a good thing imo.
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 19:01
I'm horrified at those OEM prices. Do they seem outrageous to other people here? Perhaps I should get out more?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic