guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introduction > Introduce yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another New Member

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guzzi1000SE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another New Member
    Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 21:33
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the forum, I have finally got round to joining. I live near Sheffield, South Yorkshire and I have a 1992 1000SE which I have owned since 1994 and after being stood for a while I finally her back on the road about 18 months ago. I have started looking for something else that is more comfortable especially for the other half on longer journeys any suggestions? I had a look the other day at a nice 2005 Breva 1100 but can't make my mind up.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 22:31
Yes the SE is about the same as my Spada III in the seat department. Not too good for a passenger.

The Breva is much better, but any of the California range would also be better in that respect.

Also the 1200S, Norge and Stelvio.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 23:53
Hi and welcomeThumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 06:30
Welcome
helmetbolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helmetbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 08:50
Hello, and welcome to the forum.
2001 California Special. (Modified)
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 16:46
Welcome buddy there is a very effective Guzzi Branch up your way search Pennine Guzzisti Cheefy Steve is a top Bloke
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Guzzi1000SE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guzzi1000SE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 20:22
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Brian, thank you for the suggestions. But even though I have always wanted a California I was involved in small accident a few years ago and as a result it was recommended to me that I should not have a bike that makes me sit up to straight and the California seems to do that, so I'm looking for something that makes me lean forward a bit and if necessary allow the tank to take a little of the strain. I'm too short in the leg (or large in the belly) to be able to easily get on the Stelvio.     

Which leaves the Breva, Norge and the 1200S. I've sat on but not driven the Breva and Norge and to be honest I haven't even seen a 1200S in the flesh. I know its a personal thing and without trying to start an argument if you really have to which would recommend?
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 21:45
Well, each person will have their own preference.

The Breva and Norge are essentially the same in the riding position, just the tupperware is different.

The 1200S has flatter bars so you do lean forward more. I'm fairly sure the seat is much the same on all three.

Then you go on to the number of valves per head. All the 2 valve engines are good, mechanically sound, same design as all the earlier models really. The 4 valve variation has been plagued with valve gear problems, well documented on this forum and elsewhere.
Guzzi eventually fitted roller cam followers, and these have cured their problems. Older 4 valve models can be "rollerized" at a cost.
Basically if you look at any 4 valve bikes, check the history. If they haven't been rollerized, they will have to be at some time. Ticking clock and all that.
Brian.

Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 23:52
Hello and welcome!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guzzi1000SE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 18:11
Hi Brian,

Thank you for your concise clarification. Just have to make my mind up now and find the right bike.
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 21:43
Welcome. The right bike will turn up eventually. As they say; there's no bad ones, just that some are better than others
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 16:09
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

I'm fairly sure the seat is much the same on all three [models].

I ride a 1200S and the Sport & Norge seats are similar, and interchangeable: I have both seats.  The Sport seat is more domed/curved in section while the Norge seat sides go straight up and is more flat-top ped - this results in a broader perch for the Norge seat shape,  at least for the pillion part.  

That said, perversely my wife finds the rounder Sport seat profile more  comfortable than the broader Norge pillion in which she finds the pronounced edges dig in to her legs. I bought the Norge seat assuming the bigger width would be more comfortable but evidently comfort is a subtle thing.  Queue jokes about big bottoms.... 

Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guzzi1000SE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 22:47
Hi Tony, thank you for the confirmation about seats. I had heard that the Breva, Sport and Norge seats are interchangeable. Just have to find out which is the right seat for the Boss!    
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 08:27
There are two seats available for the Norge, the standard one and a low profile one, which does seem wider and flatter. It also contains a gel insert.
Brian.

Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 11:59
To throw a curved ball the V11 Le Mans is very similar to a Honda 750 VFR in riding position, all day comfy slight very slight forward lean good 2 up and can tour ...the fairing is way better than you would guess in fact way more weather protection than a Cali ...a flipped screen from MRA really makes it work as a tourer .... Thing is the Le Mans has great suspension and braking .... Had one for 10 yrs, thing is they are holding value as it sold last year to another owner at £5 less than I had paid Twelve yrs ago! 
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic