guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V35 imola will not start

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thetar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 21:55
Running but not properly. Never catching. Died if I touched the throttle. Stopped after a few seconds anyway. Could see exhaust coming from both pipes though. Can't get it to run at all now. 
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 22:01

Ok now I'm questioning the condition of these carbs. I'll have take them apart again and check the oring. This bike is a bit if a Frankenstein. V50 carbs. Imola engine. Delinked brakes. Wiring shambles. 

Never worked with dellortos before so not sure of how they should go together. Maybe it's worth buying a set of correct vhbs from eBay? It might save me in the long run in psychiatry bills.

It will be the jet sizes that may prove difficult, plus there are `o` rings fitted to the two adjusting screws which often get left behind in the orifices thus you may have boiled them into submission    

CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Simmoto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simmoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 08:18
Definitely points? I thiught Imolas had Bosch electronic ignition; at least mine does LOL. The Bosch is tricky to set up and can affect how the bike runs. A lot!
Cheers
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 08:33
According to my Guzzi manual, the V35 II, V35 Imola, V50 III and V50 Monza have twin points.

Maybe a few early Imolas had the Bosch ignition.

When you say V50 carbs, which ones? The Imola had 26mm carbs. The early V50 had 24mm, and the V50 III had 28mm.

Edited by Brian UK - 29 Dec 2018 at 08:36
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
LarsW View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarsW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 10:25
What about idle adjusting screws? If throttles are adjusted too high (also if the throttle cables are restricting) there will not be enough vacuum to draw fuel from the float-chambers....

Ciao,
aLrs W
Norway

Thetar View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thetar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 10:39
28mm carbs. Definitely points. Yes these carbs are oversized. But I'm getting nothing now, no firing whatsoever. Even if carbs badly set up a squirt of starter fluid should have it firing for a few seconds. You can get an engine to run off a PVC pipe if you keep squirting starter fluid.
Need to go back to the points and double-check.

Edited by Thetar - 29 Dec 2018 at 10:56
redmunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redmunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 11:12
Have you checked the valve clearance? Too tight valves allowing gas to leak by would cause this. As soon as any heat gets into the stem and it expands, it’ll get worse, stopping the engine. 

My Imola engine has VHBZ 26 carbs so yours are the right size. 
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 14:54
Originally posted by Thetar Thetar wrote:

Originally posted by Dave P. Dave P. wrote:

How did you clean the carb's??

Took out all the tubes and jets etc cleaned them with carb fluid, checked that all holes were clear. Boiled the carb body for 20 mins. It was behaving this same way before I cleaned them. So cleaning has not changed anything. 

Jets and the galleries in the carbs could be partially clogged with hard deposits. These come with modern petrol. Guess how I know. I ended up forkting out for all new jets for my big block 850, as a case of making sure, although it was a runner. Nevertheless the difference was almost magical.

2. Points. Assuming timing is correct (is it?) altho the contact faces can look good, the plastic heels  that ride on the cam can wear out. Then the contacts don't open cleanly, becasue the wear is irregular, resulting in misfires. Again, guess how I know.

3. Not mentioned yet (?), contact breakers. According to several accounts, here and elsewhere, new ones can be badly made and fail, or are just bad, causing non-sparks.

4. Coils are good? HT leads et?

HTH

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 15:20

Afterthought, if it's sparking at every tdc (wasted spark) then does it even matter if it's 180 out?

As it's a v twin, the firing points aren't 180 degrees apart..... 90 and 270 depending which way you look at it.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 21:18
If it's electrical you should have wet plugs. Just a thought.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 22:22
Originally posted by iansoady iansoady wrote:

Afterthought, if it's sparking at every tdc (wasted spark) then does it even matter if it's 180 out?

As it's a v twin, the firing points aren't 180 degrees apart..... 90 and 270 depending which way you look at it.
And since it has points, there won't be a wasted spark.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
rapheal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapheal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 09:30
You could try something my late uncle used to do, ( he was an old fashioned motorcycle engineer)
remove the exhaust pipes, then try running and seeing what colour the flames are

Thetar View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thetar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 12:47
its not running at all now. Next step is to go back to ignition timing. I'll report back!
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 11:17
If it was running, however badly, I would suggest the timing isn't wildly out. I'd go along with Mike that some of the passages in the carbs may be blocked.

I can't remember if you've tried a squirt of easystart......
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
GuzziTim View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuzziTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 20:33
is it points or electronic ignition? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic