guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > CARC models
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1200 Sport - tank leaking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1200 Sport - tank leaking
    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 21:47
Just check the steering lock will engage before glueing anything in place.

I doubt there will be a problem - on my bike the yoke lock-stops must be moved almost 4mm off the central bumper before the steering lock mechanism will engage, so inserting a 1-2mm shim wouldn't interfere with the steering lock operation.

Tony
stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 15:58
The glue route it is. Didn't fancy drilling. My luck I'd go through the tank!
Breva 1100 ABS 2006
E-Plus 20 Inch Folding Electric Bike 2018 :p
Royal Enfield Himalayan ABS 2019
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 13:11
I would have thought a three sided metal shim, front and both sides would stay with araldite. You only have compression forces.

In fact I might just try something similar on my Norge.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 12:48
May be you want to pause before drilling holes in your frame.  The foldy plate idea seems to offer a lot of surface for a glued solution.

Tony

stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 19:31
Thanks for that info. My key lock stands the yokes off the tank as yours does. In my case. say 10mm but far enough. The turn bump lock stop does allow yokes contact with the tank. More so on right lock.

Adding spacers, 2mm on right lock still allows key lock and a decent stand off from tank. 1mm on left lock but not as great a stand off, still allowing key lock.

Don't have a solution but thinking on these lines:

The bottom yoke casting does seem to have taken a bit of a hammering over the years from the bump stop.

At the min, glued a piece of rubber to the ends of the steel stop. Won't let you know when they fall off but they will.

Ouch

All good fun.
Breva 1100 ABS 2006
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 15:03
Yes the lock block is wider on my 1200.  24mm.

The lower yoke & stem is the same, same part no. for Norge & Sport 8v.

I realise I had the steering lock engaged which holds the forks off the lock-stop.  With the steering lock disengaged the gap between the top yoke and the tank is 20mm.

Tony

Edited by TooJuicy - 18 Apr 2019 at 15:08
stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 19:59
LOL Nah, I'm built like a twig and break just as easy Big smile

The bike is now back through the porch and in the back yard for spanner time.

The steering lock block is 22mm, not sure on the space on the bottom yoke but doubt they've changed that.
Possibly the block is bigger?

Sorry about the hijack thread but I promise it's tank related Embarrassed 
Breva 1100 ABS 2006
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 17:27
Originally posted by stu stu wrote:

. I doubt My tank has grown that much but you may just get a Christmas card between yoke and tank!

This getting bigger around the girth just creeps up on us all Big smile

The 1200 Sport and Norge share the same fuel tank & top yoke parts. On my Sport, with its newish, replacement tank, I can slide my fingers in the gap between the yoke and tank.

This photo shows the gap, it's not so obvious to make out in this photo (my phone camera doesn't have a flash) but, on full lock, between the tank and the top yoke you can see the gap and you're looking down on to the upper fork leg and the lower yoke, which looks black here in silhouette. 

[the red tape on the yoke near the steering stem is the author's own]

Tony

stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 10:03
Agreed. I'll have to check that out George. The steering key locks too so need to check that where ever the steering locks to it can also lock via key.

Just had a look and I do have a ding in the tank! So priority. The key lock has enough play to give good clearance though, so that's good.
Breva 1100 ABS 2006
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 21:58
MOT failure if tank fouls before full lock. My friendly MOT tester explained to me that he had not seen tank fouling but if I noticed it when I got home perhaps I should fix it. Hammer moved lock stops.
George

1994 Nevada
1962 Lightweight ducati Bevel Single
Son's 1990 1000S to borrow any time
stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 20:23
Thanks for the picture. Not sure if the lock has changed over the years to provide for more gap. I doubt My tank has grown that much but you may just get a Christmas card between yoke and tank!

I've also used HeliBars and Sportbars on the old Breva but all including the standard hit the tank!
Breva 1100 ABS 2006
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 19:41
In my Sport 8v the closest point of contact to the tank is the top yoke itself, specifically the casting which the handlebars are clamped down on, this "pedestal" protudes back from the main yoke a short distance.

Tony
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 18:55
Well mine still touches and I've filed quite a bit off that bottom corner.

I do have Helibars fitted, which reduce that clearance though.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 18:02
For the record, my 1200 Sport has a gap of 2-2.5cm between tank & yoke, o n full lock - the tank is less than a year old./

Tony

stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 14:17
Good read. Never tried a new Breva/Sport/Norge on full lock to see the gap between yoke and tank.

My old red tank 05 back in 2015 had tank dings where the top yoke hit and on one occasion when I dropped the bike fuel peed out the cap (not sure if related). That was a 20000 mile bike.

This new 2006 with 55000 on the clock is ding free but close. It maybe fitment issues as well though.

Another issue to keep an eye on! Ouch
Breva 1100 ABS 2006
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic