guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

G5 bevel box gap to swingarm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
FlyingTiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: G5 bevel box gap to swingarm
    Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 12:51
Fixed it - the counterbore in the swingarm bevel flange mounting face for the bearing ring had got a bruise on it during shaft bearing installation - my fault - what a klutz!!
Mark Serj
FlyingTiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 16:58
Hi Guys,

I have just come in from a few hours in the garage as too cold to carry on due to being on the recovering side of flu (proper flu too so better get some brandy!). I have a problem that I haven't investigated due to the aforementioned words so am offering an apology for launching a post without further investigation, but right now I confess to hoping for someone enlightening me as to a schoolboy error I hope .

So, after refitting the engine and swing arm with new shaft and post bearings in the arm, I come to call it a day with the bevel box fitment and have a 2mm ish gap between box & arm. Its a hard position with something very metallic not budging after a very gentle tap or 2 of the bevel.

So I'm wondering:

1. Could my UJ be pressed too far into the arm bearing? It came to a nice solid stop and is a good semi-transition fit.

2. Another possibility is the new bearing could be thinner. To be honest I didn't compare them, just checked the part numbers were same
(I used the part number of the bearing that was in the shaft - a 62062RS/FAG

3.I could have swapped the ends of the shaft 180 degrees but I was as careful as I could be with this thick head so maybe I did but when I looked at it it seemed reversible if needed

4. The shaft circlips were correctly in place

Assuming there is no obvious error on my part, a possible remedy that springs to mind is to drive the UJ fwd in the bearing a few mm (checking there is room on the input shaft first).

Thoughts gratefully received

Regards

Mark
Mark Serj
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic