guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear schocks for track bike

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarsW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear schocks for track bike
    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 08:02
For a Tonti-framed bike:
Is there (in UK or elsewhere) a source for rear schocks fitted with a spring after my preferences and weight?
 I know about Ikons, do they come with a spring of my choice? Ohlins and Wilbers are not on my budget... for the time being, anyway.

Ciao,
Lars W
Norway
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 09:33
Many UK Tonti owners seem to be  happy with Hagons. I know I am.

http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/

Chris A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 09:42
Shock factory is another good option https://www.facebook.com/MikeCaponsShockFactory/
LarsW View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarsW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 11:51
Thanks for answering.
Yes, I know about Hagons, many say they are good value for money. I do not find fitting custom springs as an option, though. May ask.
Will check out Shock factory later, now it's riding time LOL

Ciao
Lars W
Norway
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 12:24
Hagons will fit any spring to your specification. You need to tell them just what you want. When ordering they will ask your weight and other questions to get the spring correct.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 12:30
My experience with Hagons is they tend to over-spring. My V50 has Hagons and the springs supplied by Hagon (according to the receipt I had with the bike) were about 150 lb/in if memory serves. I swapped them for Girling 110 lb/in which were the typical rate for British 500 and 650 twins and it improved the ride no end.

But I've never done a track day so can't advise on that.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 13:33
The V1000 has Hagons replacing what were Koni dial a rides ...they are way better on the V1000 solo/2 up and fully loaded for Rallying and i mean fully loaded 2 up 2x 45 litre panniers 5 person tent, sleeping bags,stove,airbeds 2x seats AND a Gazeebo lol ...the Hagons were way better than the Koni/Ikon shocks
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Chris A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 13:48
I considered the Hagon Nitro's ....but then I've heard so many rider's rave about the shock factories that that is likely what I'll buy if my old but refurbished Koni's don't cut the mustard anymore.
chrisshrops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisshrops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 13:46
I have Shock factory on two bikes very impressed with the quality 
jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 14:53
Track use is a whole different ball game.
Certainly not to disparage any previously named concerns, but Maxton are maybe the most experienced, including for "classics". You probably won't get the full benefit without having them do the front fork as well (which they do), but it can be expensive.
professorjung View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote professorjung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 23:44
maxtons are the best around

but pricey

proof in the pudding is every bike at the classic TT using them

Mingh View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mingh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 22:40
Whatever the brand, make sure they are at least 3 way adjustable
LarsW View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarsW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 07:34
Thanks for the replies, many good suggestions. 
My friend got a good deal (ha says) on a pair of Wilbers. 
I have Wilbers on two bikes, the Quota and the T5 with sidecar, and they work really well. 

Ciao
Lars W
Norway
NickR View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 12:45
Falcon may also be worth trying, a lot of the Classic racing lads use them.

I have them on my race outfit, and can't fault the quality. 
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 15:33
Originally posted by LarsW LarsW wrote:

My friend got a good deal (ha says) on a pair of Wilbers. 
I have Wilbers on two bikes, the Quota and the T5 with sidecar, and they work really well.

I've also heard that Hagons fit different springs on request but I have no personal experience - I took a look at the cheap Hagons and they looked just that - cheaply made.  The premium Hagons might be very good but on my CARC Guzzi replacing the shock units is a real performance and I wanted a fit and forever-forget solution.

I fitted a Maxton to the rear of my VFR and it was beautiful, it worked brilliantly for a year but then on a rough stretch in the Ardennes the damping went off. Perhaps racers don't do the miles I put in touring? I had the Maxton serviced but it was never the same.

This time, on the CARC Guzzi I fitted Wilbers, like Lars, and they are a work of art too, and a magnificent piece of top quality engineering.  The spring rate selected by Wilbers is also on the hard side, perhaps aftermarket suspension manufacturers don't compromise as much as OEM designers, I doubt the Wilbers will ever bottom out even two-up fully laden - solo the rear sag is less than 1cm compared with 5cm on the Guzzi unit.

Tony
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic