guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > General Electrical issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 charging

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 charging
    Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 11:33
had some probs getting T5 to start, didnt want to go.  i left it during the cold snap and came back to it today.  i gave it a full charge and it started but i notice that it was reading 16v chgarging at 2000 rpm.

Rectifier / regulator (seperate on this bike) or what ?
Norge 1200 GT 8v   T5 Polizia
Too old to die young
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 11:41
That's too high.
The regulator is what controls the voltage, but before going to the expense of buying a new one, check all the connections around it are good.
If the reference feed from the battery (switched though the ignition) is low due to a poor connection, then the regulator will raise the voltage to try to get that up to the correct amount.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 17:27
Nate get a solid state VR plug n fit to the oem bracket and plug way better look at Towzertronics
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 13:08
replace the regulator which was faulty,  started easily for several days, now cant get a spark at all ?

checking all the obvious - any ideas ?  it has Rita ignition
Too old to die young
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 13:51
Well you said it Lucas Prince of Darkness the often fail point are the coils tho' mine failed like that on the M5 ....took 12 hrs to get home, got back the points went back in as in over 200k miles NEVER had points fail if one set does go they are both intermotor parts often not too hard to find and you can always get home on 1 pot .... I found the points gave a better feel to the bike it revs freer and has better top end that is the T5 motor too ......many like Rita but I am not a fan at all ....
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 15:14
how do i test the coils - it would be both of them as np sprk either side
Too old to die young
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 16:52
Both coils go at same time , I doubt that . Have you checked connections from electronic ignition to coils
GSXR1100 L ,Moto Guzzi 650tt/ntx.750xpa,t5 850.1100 sport,1100 sport corsa rider
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 17:25
Originally posted by Jim Mac Jim Mac wrote:

replace the regulator which was faulty,  started easily for several days, now cant get a spark at all ?

checking all the obvious - any ideas ?  it has Rita ignition

Turning it on and then off (e.g. kill switch) should make it spark on either plug, if not then Rita is not getting any power. Check fuses & connectors. Rita has a 5-way connector block in its harness which can get ropey with age, brass connectors get tarnished, didn't like the look of mine in the end so I cut it out and soldered the wires together instead.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 17:48
All external connections removed cleaned and back on. Guess I need to open up Rita then
Too old to die young
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 20:09
Have you checked whether there is 12v to Rita (usually white/yellow wire) also is the case well earthed.
CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

V50/3
Fazer 600
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 20:47
when rita dies she a go dark .....there is a link to rita stuff gives how to test it on Eurospares .....
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 21:01
It is very well earthed. I will open it up and check the power line
Too old to die young
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 09:31
If there is power going in then you have nothing to lose by opening the case to investigate but I would make that a last resort. On my bike it was the case earth that was the problem, not helped by the unit being rubber mounted.
CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

V50/3
Fazer 600
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 16:32
Actually Rita does have an earth wire, so not essential that case is earthed. Tho helps by providing an anti interference screen.

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 16:41
Did you do the switch on and off test?

Don't forget also needs a signal from the pick-up sensor to run engine - the connector for that is a bit iffy too.

-
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic